Suspension Settings for wet weather on clay

Hi all,

I raced on Sunday on very wet hardpacked clay and was sliping all over the place and dropped the bike in 3 corners - it was like riding on ice. Can anybody help me with suspension / tyre pressure settings for these conditions. Should i reduce front and rear rebound damping by a few clicks to force the wheels on the ground more? I usually run 13.5 PSI tyre pressure and lowered it to 12.5PSI. I run Dunlop MX51 front an rear, both are new.

I believe the dimpled knobs on the MX51 (and other mid/hard+ tires), pack with greasy clay, then each knob becomes like a little slippery ice cube - and you are screwed. ? A sharp S12 would feel like cheating in comparison. Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

i race with those tires on predominantly red clay...those tires have stiff sidewalls and respond much better to lower air pressures i run mine at 12psi fr / 8psi rr when its really wet/raining,

13/10 just wet, 14/12 dry and rocky

also if its just wet hardpack clay(without deep mud) go in 1-2 clicks reb,out 1-2 compression;both changes at the same time....if its deep sticky clay its the exact opposite:thumbsup:

I did a ride last fall in wet red clay with two guys running radial trials tires on the back, they could past me at will on the slippery sections.
Interesting. So their trials tires did not clog up with sticky clay and spin like greasy donuts? What did you have on front and rear when they had the huge advantage over you?

I believe the dimpled knobs on the MX51 (and other mid/hard+ tires), pack with greasy clay, then each knob becomes like a little slippery ice cube - and you are screwed. ? A sharp S12 would feel like cheating in comparison. Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

S-12's dont last as long as the mx 51 they are amazing tires for a long time even worn and will grip this clay pretty well. I also tend to run about 10 pounds if it is wet