Sign in to follow this  

Trail tech 17oz

Hey, I have a 450x with an athena 490 and since my flywheel has to deal with the extra donk I find it stalls a little easier then id like.. I rode my dads drz 400 and i loved the heavyier chug feel. So i was considering extra flywheel weight.

Ive read a fair bit about the stealthy 9 oz, but i came across the trail tech 17 oz.. Has anyone fitted the 17 oz to their bike ? How did you like it etc etc.... Im just tossing up between the 9 and 17, btw i have the stock clutch basket and i dont have a rekluse.

Thanks ... David.

I'll 2nd the 17 oz. I have the 9oz Steahley and wish I had a little bit more. The problem with the Steahley is that not enough of it's weight is at the perimeter where it would be more effective. I've heard the Trail tech full flywheel also puts out more power.

Thanks for the advice.. But has anyone actually fitted the 17 ? it sounds like alot..

BTW how did the bike ride after adding the 9oz ?

The 9 oz really helps me and my style. 13 oz would have been more ideal for me and the terrain I ride in. It helps resist stalling when crawling around at reeeeeally low rpms, it slows down compression braking when entering turns and flying through long whoop sections where my throttle control may be a bit choppy. Plus it smooths out the power pulses which, in the long run, helps the engine live longer since it helps take the engine killing vibes away. I don't think 17 oz would be too bad. As a deep woods rider who rarely sees over 25 mph, usually it's 15 mph, flywheel is a good thing.

Not really the answer to your question, but I have the Steel Hinson Clutch basket and that thing has done wonders! Better than any flywheel I've ever put on a bike! Just the Steel basket alone weighs as much as the stock basket with all the plates installed! (practically anyhow...)

Plus now I have a Clutch Basket that will last forever! Win, win! 👍

Thumps around almost as good as the old XR 650r now!

Not really the answer to your question, but I have the Steel Hinson Clutch basket and that thing has done wonders! Better than any flywheel I've ever put on a bike! Just the Steel basket alone weighs as much as the stock basket with all the plates installed! (practically anyhow...)

Plus now I have a Clutch Basket that will last forever! Win, win! 👍

Thumps around almost as good as the old XR 650r now!

That would be exactly what I would do the next time I buy a used bike with a grooved out basket. Doesn't make sense to spend that kind of coin on a new bike. Unless you have a buyer for the stock basket.

I bought the Barnett with the steel inserts. It should last forever too. Didn't add any flywheel effect though.

I put a Barnett on my 450X and it worked great! I did it after going through stock baskets like a hot knife through butter. I find it odd on the 450R the stock basket seems to be hold up amazingly well.