Who Changes their own Tires??

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do my own but I do it differently then anyone else I have ever seen. I take the tube and put it on the rim slightly inflated and then stick the whole rim into the tire with both beads on the outside of the rim! This makes it super easy to put the rim on as you do not have to fight the rim locks at all! Never pinched a tube this way.

Joe

I put my own on. Toss them in the sun for a while to get nice and warm, then hit the beads with some windex and go at it. Partially inflate tube, make sure the opposite side of the tire is down in the dish, take small bites with the spoons, and there ya go.

Some tires with really stiff beads can be a bear to put on, but I figure I better know how in case I have to do it on the trail.

I do my own. I've done it hot, cold, wet, dry, you name it. Once you get used to keeping the opposite bead in the center of the rim as you are trying to get that last bit on, you're all set.

I recommend 3 tire irons, or 2 and a bead buddy. Soap and water are helpful.

I do all my tires even my quad with tubless beads. I use dish soap on the bead and rim to get them to slip on. I lay mine on the ground but saw a guy that bolted the rim to his bench and threw the tire onto the rim and got the first side on with ease. I couldn't find that video but here is a link to another TT post...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120609&highlight=home+made+tire+changer

I also do my own, it is pretty easy, even easier if you have a friends help you. Its already been said, but good advise; heat the tire by leaving it in sun. then I use dish soapy water around the bead of the tire.

I do it myself and I also like to make sure I can do it when it's cold. No reason in cheating yourself and making it easy every time. I want to make sure I can get that tube out when it's warm, cold, or where ever I need to.

It's not hard. Like others said, bring a mini bottle of dish soap to lube the bead, take your time, if your prying with force, you are trying to put too much bead on. Go slow, seat the bead a little bit at a time.

Seriously?

Unless your some pansy cruiser wana-be-biker rider who knows all the coffee shop lingo to buy a four dollar coffee drink just like you want and call crying to AAA everytime you have a flat tire on a ride, Hell yeah you should change your own tires.(if it wasn't for the previous type, I wouldn't have an example, Thank you pansy riders)

You will get a flat at a time that you don't choose and last I checked motorcycles don't have a spare in the tool bag, so you have to fix it or set on your rump looking like a chump. Best to learn at home before you have to do it road side.

Seriously?

Unless your some pansy cruiser wana-be-biker rider who knows all the coffee shop lingo to buy a four dollar coffee drink just like you want and call crying to AAA everytime you have a flat tire on a ride, Hell yeah you should change your own tires.(if it wasn't for the previous type, I wouldn't have an example, Thank you pansy riders)

You will get a flat at a time that you don't choose and last I checked motorcycles don't have a spare in the tool bag, so you have to fix it or set on your rump looking like a chump. Best to learn at home before you have to do it road side.

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzz that`s kinda hateful don`t you think:thumbsup:👍

I`m a mechanic,and have told people before if you can`t change your spare tire,check air pressure,and at least your oil level,,,,,,,you have no business owning a car:lol:🤣:lol:.......i`m kinda blunt at work about it..but i`ve seen so many people ruin new tires/engines needlessly and risk harm to themselves...

B

I changed my own rear tire on my XR650L that last time I needed one. I bought the tire spoons and wanted to make sure I could do it in case I need to out on the trail sometime. After that experience, I think I'll have Cycle Gear do it next time.

Even though I was trying to be extra careful not to pinch the tube, I managed to pinch it not once, but twice. That was the new tube that I pinched, my old one was still good and I managed to put it in without pinching it. So I had the experience of removing and installing the tire twice.

It's good to know how to change a tire, but I've never considered it to be fun for motorcycle tires.

I am new to dirt biking and get a flat on one of my first trail rides. I have a buddy who has been ridding longer than I have been alive and he said I will do it (he gave me no choice!). Its really easy having someone there telling you what to do and showing tips and tricks.

One thing he showed me was to partially inflate the tube and cover the tube and the inside of the tire with baby powder. It helps you move the tube around when you dont have the vavle stem lined up all the way.

He also showed me how to patch a tube correctly so I know how to do it in the future. Also he wasnt much help phisically after coming off a PCL replacement.

All in all its super easy and doing your own work saves time and money.

Seriously?

Not a coffee drinker are we?

Settle yourself down over there. Just wondering who changes their own tires.

getting irons tonight. 👍

It's been a long time since I've had a tire installed by a shop. It's all about technique. Once you get it figured out it's not too bad. Until then it's a major wrestling match. I only use the tools that I carry so I can do it on the trail. That means one motion pro lever and an eight inch crescent wrench. I can get a tire changed in about 10 minutes.

I use one of these 8.5 inch models.

08-0003.jpg

It's been a long time since I've had a tire installed by a shop. It's all about technique. Once you get it figured out it's not too bad. Until then it's a major wrestling match. I only use the tools that I carry so I can do it on the trail. That means one motion pro lever and an eight inch crescent wrench. I can get a tire changed in about 10 minutes.

I use one of these 8.5 inch models.

08-0003.jpg

Nice, they are about $6 each by me. Small enough to carry as well.

I change my own tires. I don't enjoy it. But it needs to be done, I can do it, and I feel like I have accomplished something afterward. Besides, I just can't get myself to pay the bike shop $25 apiece to change them. Maybe if they balanced the wheel afterward I would think about it but they don't. Tire irons are a must.

Do it yourself! THe last thing you want to happen is to be out on the trail with a flat... hmmm... let's see... this goes here?... or maybe?... no wait a minute... 👍

The more tubes you pinch at home, the less likely you are to bonehead one out on the trail🤣