CDI goes bad you will not get spark

The way I checked was by tapping the CDI with a screwdriver handle while cranking the engine over. I suddenly got spark. I then sent it in to my buddy Brianhare (on the board) now the piggy runs like a champs.

Thanks again Brian

CDI's have a bank of diodes that set the advance curve for that rpm range. There may be 4 or 5 advance curves before redline. I've had one case where only the off idle portion of the spark was affected by the failed CDI. It would cause the bike to idle fast and misfire because the timing was advancing early. I only determined it was the CDI when I randomly squeezed it while the bike was running and the idle dropped and misfire went away. I wrapped it really tight in electrical tape and ran it until a new one popped up on Ebay.

I think it is amazing that we have a member that can open a CDI and repair it. What else do you repair Brian?

Joe

You name it,i usually repair it,,electronics is a part of my trade,i am an auto technician,shop manager.I have been repairing and diagnosing electrical and mechanical systems on cars and trucks for about 24+ years now..

I have a love for anything mechanical ?

B