Tell me about the 400EXC

Ok, I've been hunting a dual sport (trading one of my street bikes, a 1999 Monster 750 w/ 33,xxx miles) for a while. Found a guy willing to trade his plated (don't have year yet) KTM 400 exc for the Monster. What should I know about the EXC prior to making a decision? The only dirtbike I have any experience with is my 1977 Suzuki TS185 2-stroke.

Thanks

JM

great bike I have an 06. but this is a full on dirt bike not meant for any extensive street riding , maybe efew miles here and there to connect trails , 2000-2004 go for around 2500-2800, 2005-07 3000-3600 $ so your monster may be worth more depending on the year

What the others have said about 90% dirt 10% street is true. Actually the 400 is not intended for any street, but could be used for a little.

The 2000-2002 models have a bad cam gear nut. They made improvements through those years, but they all need the cam gear from an 03-newer bike. I bought a little used 2002 and replaced the cam gear. When we pulled the cam gear the nut was just about to fall off, it was passed the ny-lock part of the nut:eek:. You also need to do the cam gear bearings and water pump while your in there. I would imaging if the bike falls in these years and has any miles this will have been done. Costs about $300 for all the parts and to have it done. Can be done cheaper if you can do it yourself.

The 2003 400 EXC was not imported and the 2004 was in limited numbers.

I went form a XR400 to a 400EXC and could not be more happy with the bike. It makes great power for trail riding, very linear. If more power is desired a 453 or 472 kit can be added and makes for an even better bike. The 453 kit is the engine everybody says KTM should have built.

You can learn a lot over on KTMTalk.

All in all great bike.

Thanks for the info folks!

The Monster is a 1999 with 33,000 miles and has a few dings so it's not showroom. Value is probably right around the $2000-$2500 mark, so I'd be comfortable swapping it for a the 2002 400EXC.

It will see roads mostly to connect trails or ride to the trails. I realize it's a dirtbike and not made to see the miles a DRZ400 would on the street. Living here in the NC mountains leaves me with trails everywhere to explore ~

JM