Sign in to follow this  

Sloppy Stearing

During a race, the large nut (and I'm not talking about the rider:p) that holds the upper triple clamp in place came off...and ever since then, the steering is real sloppy. When holding the front tire between your legs and twisting the bars, there is a lot of flex...more than normal. I can see the triple clamp move under the nut still, yet I have it torqued to spec....I loosened the bolts to clamp the forks to make sure the upper triple clamp presses down as I torque the nut....but nothng changed. What am I missing here? It's a frightening feeling to have that bar twisting more than normal in some gnarly chop/deep loam:bonk:

have you checked the steering stem nut? If the triple clamp nut came loose, I bet the stering stem nut also backed off. You will need a punch or spanner wrench to tighten it. Its located directly under the top triple clamp.

Edited by dav

thanks fellas, I'll mess with it again...from talking to kelstr, my guess is that the nut under the upper clamp is not tight enough, as "dav" suggested...stay tuned:ride: