Picking up the Bike after a wreck

I rode in my first race yesterday 👍 and it was an Enduro/MX race out at Freestone MX park. There was a little bit of both in it. It was a 60 minute plus 1 lap race (Holy crap that's a long time to ride). I fell about 3 or 4 times and stalled another 3 or 4.🤣 A couple of times I was able to hold on to the clutch to keep the bike from stalling when I wrecked. I wasted a lot of energy and time recovering from stupid mistakes so I've learned my lesson somewhat. Obviously you're going to fall in racing. I vaguely remember seeing some of the pros falling and when they go to pick up the bike, they squeeze the gas and the back wheel is just spinning the whole time they are picking it up. Is there a technique involved there that the weekend warrior can use to help pick the bike up faster and with less effort? Is that a figment of my imagination that I'm seeing? Or is that something that takes a lot of skill to do? I know a lot of them use the rekluse (I don't see what the big problem of them admitting it is) and that might be the reason they are doing it.

Any info would help.

I can't help you here. But if you're lucky enough, the throttle will get dug into the ground with the throttle twisted a little bit which will keep the bike spinning.

I guess you could set the idle higher than normal to where it doesn't stall under load.

Yes you can use the throttle to help eliminate some of the dead weight while picking the bike up. But keep in mind the more of an angle the bike is at and the more throttle you apply the more the bike is going to want to turn in the direction of the lowside.

In other words the bike is not going to just magically want to go straight when you gas it and pick it up. So you have to compensate by keeping the rear wheel spinning long enough for the bike to become more upright.

Pretty safe and easy thing to practice all in all, but it is like a kick-turn in that you have to commit to it or you're going on a bull ride.

That was a fun race wasn't it? I've fallen a bunch since I started racing and I'm glad I have a Rekluse. Those bikes get pretty heavy trying to pick them up towards the end of the race...especially when they feel like they have 50lbs of mud on them.

Yeah it was a ton of fun. I could see how a rekluse would be golden in a situation like that. I lost about 2 or 3 minutes the last time my bike stalled. I couldn't get it cranked for anything. The second wreck was in the mud and I dropped it on the throttle side. Whats worse is I put my hand out to catch myself and got a handful of mud. That did wonders when I got it picked back up and tried to twist the throttle. 👍

Thanks to all who replied. I'll have to give it a shot.

I decided I'm not going to fall in the mud anymore. If only it were that easy. The only good part about that race is I was up near the front on the hole shot and it forced me to attempt some jumps that I might not have otherwise. I liked the MX parts of it better. I was also forced to get a comfortable in the ruts fast also. Some of them were knee deep. I'll be signing up for more races, thats for sure.

Yeah the MX portion was a ton more fun than the rutted out field, much better than the Bridgeport race thats for damn sure. I hit one of those knee deep ruts and it about threw me over the bars....cant seem to get the confidence to hit the ruts very fast so I just wobble through them scared s**tless.