Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ or O5 KX

2005 KX250 was the best bike I have ever owned/ridden and I've ridden quite a few over my 30 yrs! YZ is stronger but KX wins, IMO

Get the YZ but check the Kawasaki two stroke section first. They'll tell you the KX. So with that, you're armed with incredibly useful information. 👍

All depends on price. If both are the same price well then you need to ask yourself what you value in a dirt bike.

YZ250- bone stock awesome suspension, incredible motor, aluminum frame, not the best handling bike but good turning, stability etc

KX250- Motor is softer down low, hits hard and pulls forever. Some have said its stronger than the YZ's but it may just be the hard hitting effect. Handling is awesome. Turns on a dime and at the same time has great high speed stability.

Both are great bikes it just depends on price and what you want in an MX bike.

Good luck

I ride alot of woods and also do alittle track. Is one better then the other for my riding?

there is an awesome writeup comparing these bikes around here somehere, written by one of us. The kawis go for $500 or so less than a YZ in the same shape seems like. $500 buys a lot of cool stuff.

If you don't know how long you may keep the bike you should also consider resale.

I have owned both and they are great bikes: If your riding woods, go foro the YZ! IF your riding track, get the KX. If your ride both...YZ! The YZ is more versatile. It can be an MX bike or a woods bike. The KX doesn't belong in the woods!

I agree with the above post. I have an 06' YZ as well as an 06' KX250 and the KX is for sure the 'racier' of the 2 bikes. It does not make as good a trail bike IMO. Hits hard, feels small and the handling is very fast feeling. The YZ is far more middle-of-the-road and makes a much better trail bike IMO.

If I only raced MX then I'd buy the KX, but if I did both the I'd buy the YZ. It is more than respectable on the track and trail.

well I think PC and Oregon250 are a bunch of silly girls.

I've ridden PC's KX and YZ I wouldn't much care for the kx in the woods.

I'd get the yz but hey, this is the Yamaha forum. What answer did you expect here? Ha ha. The Kx is a really good bike too. I rode an 06 kx250 for a few minutes once and I liked it. I didn't run out and buy one, but it was nice.

kx is smaller and rails corners better, yz my 03 is much stronger across the board. both stone reliable, toss up for me you will be happy green or blue

resale value the YZ will win by far cause the 06 is basically the same bike as the 2010, and the aluminum frame will last longer than the steel kx frame most likely

I think I am going to go for the YZ..The yz is $2000, and the kx is $1700 but needs a couple things. As far as getting the yz dialed I have read it need some major tunning from the stock bike as far as suspention goes. Can this be done by me < or does it need to go to the bike shop?

The '06 fork is pretty good and can be clicked into a decent performer. The shock on the other hand should be dealt with immediately. The '06 is extremely weak on rebound and will need some help. I used a smart performance DIY kit on my shock, and it made a huge difference.