Sign in to follow this  

kx 60 wont start

Hey guys, i bought my son a kx 60 for Christmas, and I had the bike running while stored in my basement several times. It would always start within 3 kicks. Now I have it stored in the garage and it won't start. Here is what I checked: compressiom, 120, has spark, cleaned carb. Any help would be appreciated.👍

Yeah, I cleaned the jets and passages. I soaked them in my carb cleaner bucket, and blew all the orifices out with compressed air. I will check the reed cage. I know that 120 psi is a little onthe low side, but the bike had previosly ran fine, so I should be good on the top end, no?

120 should be ok at least until he gets used to the bike, they can be real animals.

First thing I would check after cleaning the carb is spark plug, pull it out, look at it, if it's not fouled, clamp it to the head or anywhere else you can clamp it on, kick the bike over, if you don't get a nice fat blue spark, try a new plug.

Still no spark? Check all the electrical connections, most importantly the kill switch as these frequently go bad (as opposed to the other components).

Try again. If it won't spark now, get back to us.

If it does, put the plug in and it should fire.

Oh, and just for clarification, you did remove the float bowl and clean the pilot, right? Not just the hex-plug and main?

Guys, thanks for your replies. After checking the reeds, I decided to pull the pipe to inspect the exhaust side of the piston. I went to pull of the pipe, and out came 8 ounces of unburnt fuel that was in the exhaust pipe! The only way that I think it got there was when i carried the bike up a steep flight of stairs to bring it in the garage from the basement,that and flooding the engine during a few failed starting attemps. So, all is well and the bike is running great. Now all i have to do is teach junior how to use a clutch, that little bike flat-out rips! 👍

i have two of them, i picked up a 99 for 100.00 no start, new piston and us, chrome did the bore over, some cleaning and a new back tire this bike rips.... i was shocked on how quick it is w/a 180 pound adult on it. pulls the front tire in first about a foot my son has never ridden a 2 stoke just 4 stroke 80 and a 150f the other is a 2001 kx 60 that one needs a crank kit 175.00 but the bike is real clean should have that one running in a few weeks, i love these little bikes. do you think my son will be able to ride it he is 10 about 100 pounds?

Guys, thanks for your replies. After checking the reeds, I decided to pull the pipe to inspect the exhaust side of the piston. I went to pull of the pipe, and out came 8 ounces of unburnt fuel that was in the exhaust pipe! The only way that I think it got there was when i carried the bike up a steep flight of stairs to bring it in the garage from the basement,that and flooding the engine during a few failed starting attemps. So, all is well and the bike is running great. Now all i have to do is teach junior how to use a clutch, that little bike flat-out rips! 👍

Same thing happened to my neighbor. He was complaining that it wouldnt start after putting around under the powerband for a half hour. He had the tank off and all this nonsense and once he put it back together I turned the gas off, held it wide open and kicked it and a gallon of fuel practically sprayed out.

i have two of them, i picked up a 99 for 100.00 no start, new piston and us, chrome did the bore over, some cleaning and a new back tire this bike rips.... i was shocked on how quick it is w/a 180 pound adult on it. pulls the front tire in first about a foot my son has never ridden a 2 stoke just 4 stroke 80 and a 150f the other is a 2001 kx 60 that one needs a crank kit 175.00 but the bike is real clean should have that one running in a few weeks, i love these little bikes. do you think my son will be able to ride it he is 10 about 100 pounds?
These bikes behave very differently with an adult on them vs. a child. An average sized adult's weight is centered above or behind the rear wheel, a child is much farther forward. Also, the center of gravity is lower with a child.

While I wouldn't put a completely new rider on one, a child who's got some experience on motorcycles should be just fine.

To tone the bike down, I put a 3/8" fender washer in the exhaust where the pipe meets the cylinder, a flywheel weight and a smaller front sprocket (to reduce the tendency to stall, the downside of the sprocket is increased acceleration/torque)

You can also advance/retard the timing a little which will reduce the overall power and change when the power really comes in.

FWIW, the KX65 uses almost the same gearing as the minus 1T front sprocket.

FWW is the most expensive piece in this at $115 or so. I'd definitely do the others initially since they're practically free and only take a few minutes each.

All in all, good bikes, and don't let your ride as an adult reflect on how the bike will handle with a child on it.