Sign in to follow this  

I have a big hole in my hub

Click for picture

Never had the occasion to look for hubs before, but now that I do, I'm finding that it's really hard to find just a hub for sale. Complete wheel kits are no less than $400. I can buy wheels for my car for less.

Can anybody point me in the direction of just a hub that will work with my stock 18x2.15 rim? Or even a cheap wheel kit. Rockymountain has their g-force brand, but its only 19".

Or, does anybody have a used hub for sale?

Thanks

I don't have a suggestion for finding a cheap replacement, but last time I saw a hub broken like that I was told it was from running the chain too tight. Not saying you did that, but it's something to be mindful of.

Joe

A 19" hub will work, as long as it is for 36 spokes.

The only difference between 18" and 19" is the rim and spoke length.

Any used KTM hub will work from the mid-90s to present I believe.

Some aftermarket is different.

Yeah, how did that happen? That is wild.

I just did a rim:

27021_365641295802_549110802_5341657_1657759_n.jpg

27021_365653975802_549110802_5341667_453357_n.jpg

27021_365653990802_549110802_5341668_6749346_n.jpg

27021_365654040802_549110802_5341670_2881333_n.jpg

I actually went out today and took a look at my chain. Its well within spec, if anything its a little loose. Sprocket condition is perfect, I think I have 4 rides on that set. I've probably only put 100 miles on the bike since I got it, so its quite possible the previous owner ran it too tight and started the process. Thanks for the replies.

I would guess that would be a wheel bearing that was left too long and disintegrated itself. I think from the picture I can see new grooves that the balls wore in the spacer from being able to freely move around in there. I have seen other pictures of other hubs that look very similar after loosing a wheel bearing.

Usually the chain is plenty loose after a failure.

The chain on these has to be deceiving loose at normal sag.

If you disconnect the shock and perfectly align the front and rear sprockets with the swingarm bushing, you can tighten up the chain to "snug" and then see how it loosens as it goes through its travel. It will really surprise you. If you overtighten the chain even just a little bit, it puts HUGE forces on the hub and countershaft.

Zappa, I believe youre right. The bearing on the sprocket side of the hub is gone, and that thing in the pic is the oil seal.

I even have new bearings in my garage. The ones on the bike were fine three or four rides ago, guess that'll teach me to check more often.

Will a 2006 KTM300 wheel fit on my 02? I'm having a hard time finding part numbers. Thanks!

Also, the hub from an 02 520EXC, will that work?

After a few years or on older bikes, have you ever had spokes seize up and had to cut them off just because they were loose and you couldn't tighten them? All this after taking the wheel and tire off to get to the other side and try to heat them up, let penetrating oil sit for days, hold them with vice grips to keep them from turning in the hub, etc. Sometimes those things work sometimes you have to cut them off.

TIP: If you are putting new spokes on, put some regular aluminum anti-seize on the threads so this never happens. Has worked for me over the years.

Edited by Gary jp4