Sign in to follow this  

Totally Intimidated

I have moved to a new town, and I was approached to go to city council with a proposal that would lead to land being granted for a motocross track. We are 400kms from another track, so this facility would be a dream come true. 15 acres of cleared land...in an area with very little cleared land that isn't being utilized by something. Right next to an airport so all the amenities including water mains and sewage and storm drains are on site as well.🤣

Now is the tough part. I may know how to clear a jump and negotiate a track, but that doesn't make me an expert at, either track design, space utilization, or track construction. Now for the 64,000 dollar question:🙂

Any tips? Anything at all...👍

You'll learn as you go along I'm sure. With dealing with the city council if you don't know what to say or ask. Just be real general with your ideas. Don't make a bunch of demands that are going to have to happen or you might scare them off.

Show up prepared. Some questions you will get:

What insurance coverage will the location have?

Is this a chartered organization, or just an unorganized group of riders?

How will we know you've taken all necessary safety precautions?

Will alcohol be allowed on site?

What about track security during off-hours?

Will parking be provided on site?

How will we know riding will be restricted to the designated area?

I have the insurance covered, as I have registered as a non-profit organization with an executive. I am stuck with the task of having the "vision" for how to layout the track. I am have been pretty much assured by the planning and development head that the land I have chosen will pass the order in council with ease, so now it is about figuring out if and how much money I should request to go along with land.

To hire equip and buy fill if I need to. That will be tough: Looking at a piece of land and trying to figure how much earth I can move to around...and if I will need to bring much in. No road building experience here. Is it common for guys who do road building to be able to ballpark quite close what is needed if they look at a drawing?