Sign in to follow this  

Sag and spring help. PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2009 crf 450 that is brand new. I have not rode it yet. I sent my suspension to MB1 and just got it back. i weigh 180, so they left the rear spring and put stiffer in in the front. I have there link on there too. They told me to set the sag at 105. SO when i set it at that i noticed the lock rings when i tightened them were at the very top of the threads. Then i noticed when the bike is on the stand if you grab the spring you can spin it even when everything is tight. What does this mean. could my sag tool be off or is that ok? I aslo just had this problem with my yz250 i just got back from factory connection.

they are basically using springs that are on the stiff side (compared ot the normal correct sag readings), so the spring has little or no preload.

I think you might be too light for the rear spring. The link might not effect it too much but if they installed a lowering spacer on the shock shaft that difiniatly would. I just bought an 09 450r too. And sent the suspension off to Factory connection with about one hour on it. Before I sent it off I set the sag at 115 to help reduce the stinkbug affect. This didn't helkp anything except make the front less nervous or sketchy feeling. I just got it back from FC saturday and set the sag at 110 as recommended. I'm 185 lbs, right out the shower, and I'm at the top of the shock body with no threads left. They do tighten down though, and I'm pretty sure they don't move. Now they will spin if your threads are clean, and the bike is on a stand, and the top lock collar is loose. That how I adjust my sag. That way I don't beat he collar to death.. What kind of free sag numbers are you getting. I'm at 47-50mm. Which I beleive indicates that I'm a little liht for the spring.

i just got mine back from fc. 2010 crf250r. and mine is at the top of the threads too. i have 110 race sag like they said and it says on my card that they sent me not to measure free sag. i can spin the spring when its on the stand to. it all seems weird except it rides really good. i`m happy

i know how to set my sag i have been doing it for years and everything has been fine. Yes i put the bike on the stand and set the tool at 0. Then i take it off and have someone help hold me up and see where the sag is at. I got it right around 105 like mb1 said and the rings are at the top of the threads but there is enough to tighten it. so when i was all done i noticed i can move my spring with my hand still and was surprised. i never seen this happen before. the front springs they went up one size from stock and left the rear stock spring. I havent rode yet but just wanted to make sure its ok to ride with the spring like that when the bike is on the stand. Several people said its fine and a couple said its the wrong spring. i also noticed that if i sit 2 inchs further back then i would to set the sag my sag is at 108 and not 105. but if i move up 2 inches to where i would be sitting on my bike it will be at 105.

I would think as long as it doesn't move up and down you would be okay. It's only twisting/spinning right? I would check my rings/collars in between moto's just to make sure that they aren't loosening up.

It's fine. The new shock body doesn't have much of a threaded area anyway. And to get the sag set right (personally, I think 110-115mm is too much and lets the shock drop too far into the stroke, but if that's their fix....) you probably only have a few millimeters of pre-load anyway. That's why you can still turn the spring.

As long as you can't move the spring up and down between the adjustment ring and the lower keeper, it's fine.

thank you for the help its good to know that this is ok. i have the sag set for 105, i will ride it for the first time tomorrow to see how it is.