Sign in to follow this  

Overheating 2009 450 XCF

this past sat my 09 450 XCF boiled over big time. Only made 1 3/4 laps during our 70 min race. Bike started bogging down and died almost like a 2stk fouling the plug. Gas was pouring out of carb . After sitting for about 15 min and going a lap down the bike fired up and I decided to nurse it on in.

This was in Tx and it was in low 80's outside and the track was super sandy with some long muddy fields, super tight woods and good ol wide open grass track sprinkled in between the woods sections.

after cleaning bike good yesterday I added about 20-22oz of distilled water ... Have not changed oil but it smelt ok.. ( nothing like the burned oil smell that my honda would do after a offroad race).. and will be getting changed before I ride again.. Bike fired right up and sounds Ok ( whew ) .. plan on checking valves etc just to make sure .. bike has 31hrs.

Soo this leads me to trying to cool the beast down. I have searched the forum and still not sure what route I am going to take...

I have a RLR overflow bottle but have not installed it yet because I have heard the XCF radiator cap wont suck the fluid back in ? true? false??

I have a JD jetting kit and adj leak jet on the bike.. I think its a little lean right now so going to mess with that a little.

I was running about 50% coolant and then water wetter and distilled water.

Would fluidyne radiators make a big difference or add a trail tech stator then add electric fan?

On the moto track bike is just fine... and even in the 7 offroad races I have raced it in never has it needed much more than 2-3 oz of coolant .. granted this race was pretty nasty but its only gonna get hotter here in good ol Tx lol...

Other than this issue love the KTM ( after 20yrs of blue and red) ..

11515244_QMKst#810828675_S7kWC-XL-LB

If it's lean, it'll definitely boil, especially if you're hard on the clutch. My solution was proper jetting and, for insurance, I ran Evans Race Coolant in my radiators. Evans is guaranteed not to boil over, but it doesn't keep the bike from running hot, so you're curing only a symptom, not the problem.

You probably don't need Fluidyne radiators, but they will help. The factory guys run oversized radiators, but their bikes are also properly jetted.

Start with the jetting first. After that, check your radiator cap. Occasionally, the radiator cap will go on these bikes, even though they physically appear normal. Also, the water pump seal goes out, and it'll boil endlessly if that happens as well.

Try the checklist and somewhere along the line you'll cure the problem, though I suspect it's jetting related.

After 31 hours, your valves should still be in check. After all, it's a KTM, not a Honda!

I have a 09 505 and installed Fluidyne's after I bent one of the stockers.

Although it never overheated before, it did get hot during a summer cross country event.

Had no problems during a 2 hour ride in slow tight stuff recently.

As a bonus they are much better built than the stock units.

Well I am going with a rejet and the fluidynes for extra insurance. Wouldn't mind trying the ktm impellor kit but that also requires a header pipe.. so its another $400 upgrade that will have to wait...

Sooo if anyone smashes up your stock radiators I think I'll have a mint set for sale... 👍

stock radiator should work just fine

check the plug, is it whitish??

check the radiator, is the coil choked by dirt?

blah blah blah. change this change that. you hear it all the time on these websites. try the cheapest route 1st bud. thats just good common sense in my opinion. i use engine ice and have raced similar courses as to the one you described. not any problems since i changed over. personally, i would wait on the big buck items and replace when needed. u have a great bike that comes nicely equiped bone stock.

Follow JD's instructions precisely. Jd has this bike (08). Same overheating issues. If need be call him, best customer service in the business. Run engine ice also. I have this bike in the 08 to. I bought JD's modified leak jet bowl. With these few changes my over heating problems have ended. Bike runs great from 1000 ft. to over 3000 ft. any higher and I make a needle change (per JD's instructions). I looked into adding fan but the 08 xcf does'nt have a bung in the bottom of the radiator.