Sign in to follow this  

DR200 Won't run well in the high RPMS

Okay, I have an 86 DR200, bike is completely rideable idles great and starts great 1-2 kicks and it's going with the choke on. The problem is the bike will not rev past a certain RPM, it didn't do this when i got it but at about 65% of max RPM the bike just bogs and farts but won't go any higher in the RPMS.

I've cleaned the carb out, it was disgusting and I cleaned it throughly so now it starts and idles way better. But the higher rpm bogging is still there. Airbox lid on or off makes no changes. Fresh plug gapped properly, no difference. Bike takes off great loads of power on the bottom end but like I siad hits that wall and won't rev.

Good thing it's a 4 stroke and makes bottom end torque or I would've been in trouble last time I road it. Like this the bike is still trail worth and I was going through the rough stuff just as fast as everyone else but I know it's missing power because it used to be faster.

Any suggestions? I figure I might have the float set too low?

Also, airbox lid off, airbox lid on makes no difference, Pilot out 1 7/8th turn to 3.5 makes no difference

one more thing lol, the motor clacks at idle sounds like the valves need adjusting. Would having to adjust the valves cause this issue?

round cover, as it was once a dual sport bike

Did you check the diaphragm for small holes/tears?

yes I did, it was good to go.

Tomorrow I'll pull the carb again and re inspect, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the float level is too low, because in neutral it revs up and runs just fine until I get the rpms way up and it bogs down

I've also checked the rate the fuel flows out of the pet cock, it just pours out as fast as it can from the hole and through the filter I have on it. there is a steady solid stream of gas, definitely faster than the carb could drink it

turns out I was right, I adjusted the float level(too far the other way i might add lol) and the problem went away except it doesn't pull up top. So off the bowl comes one more time then I can set the float level properly and I should have a good running DR again.