rm vs yz

I am currently looking at a 2004 yz 125 and a 2004 rm 125. The rm is 1700 and the yz is 1500. Money is not really a problem though. They are both completly stock and in great condition. I live in northern Ky and ride mostly trails in this fricken clay. I am 5'7 and 110 lbs. Which should i get?

You left out the most important info.... What is your rider skill level? Have you ridden 2 strokes before? 125's can be a bit more work out on the trails because they are designed more to be on the pipe. I would consider a fly wheel weight and make sure you have the right gearing to make the bike a bit more manageable on the trails.

Out of the two you are choosing from...the RM is probably the better choice. It sits a little lower and has slightly more bottom end power which will help you on the trail. Agreed though, my 125 is more work on the trail than a 250. I ride mostly mx tracks so it's ok.

allright thats cool, you guys are making it seem like for trails i would need the rm more because of the low end it has right?

it will be hard to convince me that a rm125 has more bottom end than a yz125...i have never owned or ridden a newer rm125 except for a 2001 rm125 that i owned and it was weak on the bottom and i do currently have a 06 yz125 and it has a really good bottom end pull...it is actually the only 125 that i have rode that can be lugged to a certain extent 👍 i may need to try a newer rm125 if they are better than a yz down low🤣

it will be hard to convince me that a rm125 has more bottom end than a yz125...i have never owned or ridden a newer rm125 except for a 2001 rm125 that i owned and it was weak on the bottom and i do currently have a 06 yz125 and it has a really good bottom end pull...it is actually the only 125 that i have rode that can be lugged to a certain extent 👍 i may need to try a newer rm125 if they are better than a yz down low🤣

Yes you do. I have a 2006 YZ 125 and it does have decent bottom end...but the 2004 RM is an anomaly. It has exceptional bottom end-mid range power and is unbelievable in the twisty sections. Very nice bike.

I`m surprised to hear that,I have a yz250 and was just drooling over the 06 and up yz125s on craigslist, for their light weight on trails and decent power spread for a 125.Never even considered an rm 125,which years have the good low end power.

I`m surprised to hear that,I have a yz250 and was just drooling over the 06 and up yz125s on craigslist, for their light weight on trails and decent power spread for a 125.Never even considered an rm 125,which years have the good low end power.

Only the 2004 RM...as I said, "anomaly".

However, the 06+ YZ has real good bottom, mid, and top. I wouldn't choose a 2004 RM over an 06+ YZ for trail or track. This guy was comparing 2004 RM VS. 2004 YZ, in which case, the RM is better in a few areas.