Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 660 engine question

My raptor is starting to smoke a tad. I'm gonna do a leak down to be sure but I assume its time for a topend. Im in the middle of a very expensive 450 project so Im broke.

Can I get away with a set of rings and a deglaze or would that just be stupid?

What is timing chain life on these things?

I assume I got about 300 hours on this thing, thanks for any suggestions!

if its just staring to smoke you probably get away with a deglaze put i would have the cylinder checked to make sure the bore is within specs and i would just do a new piston instead of just rings but thats me as for a timing chain i am not sure about how long they last i bought one off of ebay for my 450 for like 20 bucks but i guess if its still tight and your tensioner is mot bottom out so its not putting pressure on it then i would say its probably still good but after that it is your call

I guess I should probably do it right and throw a piston in there. It would be a good time to bump the compression a little. I got some bore mics around here somewhere so I'll check the cylinder out. Got a trip planned to hatfield in a couple months so I gotta make sure this things ready to roll since my bikes down.

Install a 102mm 11:1 piston which makes it a 686 and still you can run pump gas with no issues.

I wouldn't mind that plan. I did a cylinder leakage test and only had between 5 and 10% leakage. So I might just leave it go this season and do a piston and valve guide seals this winter.