Sign in to follow this  

What to look for 06 TE 510

Well I found an 06 TE 510 that I am interested in but it is quite far from me....close enough that I would go get it but too far just to go and look at.

What questions should I ask the owner (he is the original owner). He states that all the services have been done, and it has a new battery but needs a rear tire.

The bike is blue and yellow color scheme....I have also seen 06 TEs with red and white color scheme. Which color should it be on an 06 from the factory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm no 510 expert (I ride a 610) but I'd be getting as much info over the phone/email before going on a long trek. I'd be wanting to know service intervals, type oil used and if he/she did them themselves or if they were done at the dealer. If they were done at the dealer - did they get the book stamped? If the answer's no then I wouldn't even entertain going to see it. Ask the owner how much of the servicing they've done themselves - if they don't sound competent to twirl a spanner or have missed out on the basics like oiling the chain and cleaning the air filter regularly then again I wouldn't even bother going to see it.

What kind of mileage has the bike covered? As I say I'm no expert on the 510 but know enough that it is a pretty highly tuned engine. It's not that uncommon for engines with as little as 3,000 miles on to need a fairly major overhaul (crank rebuild, new rod etc). You'll need to be listening out hard for any engine noise that is likely to indicate that this may be a possibility and factoring it into the price (or walking away......)

Everything owen said are good things, also here is my input

My method is always the same for every used bike I buy. Just get a feel for the owner. Does he seem like he cared for the bike, kept up on the maintenance or does he give the vib that he just road it and thought of it as a replaceable toy.

I also look at what mods were done, I always feel that mods like larger tank, stabilizer, gps...ext are a good sign verse mods like aftermarket loud pipe or crazy bro graphics are trendy cool mods.

Look at the air filter, ask him what kinda oil he used for it. Im not a fan of spray on oil it always seems to let dirt through. I like FFT and I soak the whole filter and squeeze it all out.

From the factory they came in Blue and yellow however the 07 platics which are red and white fit. The engines are pretty bullet proof with the caveat being the main bearings. These were potentially the weakest part on the bike and prone to wear a little more quickly than desired. That said if the bike has had a soft life it should still be ok. Upon replacement I understand the bearings for the kawasaki 4 strokes are better (more rollers or ball bearings). The 510 and 450 of 06 and 07 are top bikes for reliabilty and performance. The 08's etc heralded a slightly better frame and efi.

More questions....

Found a 05 SMR 450 locally....can I put dirt wheels on the bike(are they direct bolt on or do I have to get spacers and?????)

I assume that the 450s are quite similar to the 510s as far as what to look for.

Can the SMR stock suspension be tuned to ride in the dirt with the wheels swapped?

Just looking for additional information.

Thanks

you can't just add the off road rims to the SMR's, brakes and caliper mounts are different. SMR Front uses a 320mm rotor with a Brembo 4 pot caliper, off road version are smaller and the typical 320mm front rotor is WAY OVERKILL for off roading. Actually it is easy/cheaper to convert a TE to a SM than a SM to a TE type bike, but it can be done.

Yes you can get the suspension tuned for dirt, but in the long run, you will pay more to convert the SM to a dirt bike than it is worth. Hold out for a TE, they are around. You can have a bike shipped to you for a couple of hundred from a dealer. You can get smoking deals on leftover 09's right now........09 TE510 7600.00 OTD from a shop in PA.