dr 650 info

hey guys, im a big poster in the ktm and dual sport forums. i currently ride a ktm 530 excr and absolutely love it. i have a 6.3 gal tank on it and gpr ss, and a few other mods. i am starting to do more adventure touring stuff over desert blast.

im getting older and have had a few injuries {actually lots} from racing mx, and my body just doesnt let me push as hard and as fast as i like.

i know a dr 650 has the great reputation as a adv bike. and the service schedule is a fair bike easier than the ktm.

im concidering selling my 530 and getting a kawi zrx1200r for street sport touring and a used dr650 for my desert crusing and back roads adventure stuff.

so my questions are what years are electric start? what have been the biggest issues? i have heard of a clutch basket nut that needs to be tightened and tie wired or something like that, that is the kind of info im looking for, not to knock them buut to know what to look for.

are there any years that had an bigger issues to be avoided?

where there any years that had significant suspension upgrades or are prefered?

even with injuries i still like to ride pretty hard but i thing the dr 650 will fit my skills and needs better now than the 530.

any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanx in advance:thumbsup:?

I believe '96 through '10 are basically the same. Be aware that pre-2003 models had a paper base gasket which was prone to leakage. Yep, it's a fun and versatile machine, with some decent aftermarket goodies available if your wallet needs thinned out. ?

The faq at the top of the page has some good info. On the chain roller, various switches, etc.

Nothing really big sticks out thats gonna leave you stranded. Obviously, I get the newest bike you can find, since chances are its gonna be in the best shape. They can be found for pretty cheap if you just shop around.

If your gonna be adventuring on it, not much highway, throw on a decent set of tires, regear it, pick up a jet kit/filter/open the airbox, (or a pumper carb)and ride it till they stop refining gas. All relatively cheap. Then go from there. Exhaust, hi comp piston/cam, bigger tank, better seat, vapor, etc

are they all electric start?

trust me my wallet gets plenty thinned at the ktm dealership, i love goodies.

i see some guys call them a dr650 others dr650s dr650se are these different models or years or are people just not putting down all of the letters? i only ask because the letters on a ktm have alot of meaning as to what the bike has on it stock, is that the same on the dr?

Im still learning on the various years, but I believe the 96+ are pretty much the same. They are electric start, no kick start available.

Im not exactly sure on the letters, Ive wondered that myself. I know my '08 I picked up is listed as a DR 650se. Appears no different than the others, but Im sure someone can chime in.

Im still learning on the various years, but I believe the 96+ are pretty much the same. They are electric start, no kick start available.

Im not exactly sure on the letters, Ive wondered that myself. I know my '08 I picked up is listed as a DR 650se. Appears no different than the others, but Im sure someone can chime in.

Yeah, 96 and up are identical motorcycles except for a few items. The headlight cowling was changed in 2001 or 2 I think. The rest of the bike is the same with BNG each year. 96 - mid 2004 had a paper base gasket which will most likely fail and begin leaking. For the 98's and about half of the 99's Suzuki decided to "save some money" by eliminating the starter motor torque limiting clutch so when the engine shut down at just the right position the backward force of the big lump not having enough inertia to make it through another compression stroke put a ton of force on the reduction gears for the starter. Broken cases and other cool stuff was the result. They are easy to change and check so don't shy away from a nice copy of one of those year models based on that.

A few folks have had an issue with the NSU (neutral sending unit) in that the screws that hold it in position come loose and tour the engine. Easy fix to remove the clutch cover and locktite the screws.

Yeah, 96 and up are identical motorcycles except for a few items. The headlight cowling was changed in 2001 or 2 I think. The rest of the bike is the same with BNG each year. 96 - mid 2004 had a paper base gasket which will most likely fail and begin leaking. For the 98's and about half of the 99's Suzuki decided to "save some money" by eliminating the starter motor torque limiting clutch so when the engine shut down at just the right position the backward force of the big lump not having enough inertia to make it through another compression stroke put a ton of force on the reduction gears for the starter. Broken cases and other cool stuff was the result. They are easy to change and check so don't shy away from a nice copy of one of those year models based on that.

A few folks have had an issue with the NSU (neutral sending unit) in that the screws that hold it in position come loose and tour the engine. Easy fix to remove the clutch cover and locktite the screws.

What Rob said.

Also, the 1996-2010 model is called DR650SE, the RSE and RS were before that.

By the way, did you know that the 48mm WP forks and entire front end off your 530 will bolt onto the DR? ?

IMG_1857.jpg

that is good to know but if i go this route it will have to sell the 530 to fund the

zrx1200r i want and the dr650 to off road

It wouldn't make sense anyway to pull apart a perfectly good 530. Just something to keep in mind, the KTM front ends do pop up for sale used as well. ?

yeah im not pulling my 530 apart for a fork on a dr650...lol

besides if i go to a dr and a street bike it would be for the pupose of calming down and not trying to be ricky racer anymore...doin a big trick out job on a dr would on make me try go fast again and that is what im trying not to do...if i leave it mostly alone i wont be as tempted to jump it and blast whoops and stuff like that, if im gonna keep doing that i will just keep my 530