Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up my CRF450R question about oil change

First off I wanted to intoduce myself seeing as this is my first post. I am 22 and live in central indiana. I have been on a dirtbike since I was 5 years old and enjoy wrenching and riding alike.

However I just picked up an 02 CRF 450R today, I started with my usual maintinance that I always do when I get a used bike. Change the fluilds, clean the air filter ect.....well after I finally located the oil drain plug on this thing, which is on the side of the case near the shifter and desguised as a case bolt, I drained all the oil and removed the oil filter and then realized there are two oil caps. One on each side. Now I am confused, there is a site glass on the shifter side but no dipstick on the other side. Could someone please fill me in on why there are two oil caps and what the oil capacity is on this bike?

I didnt get a manual with this bike and my other bike is an 02 YZ426 so this is going to be an adjustment getting used to the differences. Thanks for any help:thumbsup:

2 oil drain bolts has something to do with the unicam.

I don't know much more for i am not a honda person 👍

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have always been on a yamaha but this was a really good deal and the bike feels really really light compared to my 426.

You have both, oil and tranny fluid. If the 02 is the same as the 05, the drain plug for the tranny fluid is to the left of the shifter basically, sounds like you already found the oil. As far as how much oil to add, you want to add .69L and for the tranny, .59L(Again, I think the 02 and 05 are the same). Also, oil goes in on the left side, tranny on the right.

You have both, oil and tranny fluid. If the 02 is the same as the 05, the drain plug for the tranny fluid is to the left of the shifter basically, sounds like you already found the oil. As far as how much oil to add, you want to add .69L and for the tranny, .59L(Again, I think the 02 and 05 are the same). Also, oil goes in on the left side, tranny on the right.

yup youre right.

the left side (with the sight glass) is very important, thats why theres the sight glass, that oil lubes the engine/cam/piston/crank etc... for my 2005 I put 700ml in that side. I think the manual calls for 600ml, but I always put more as it doesnt hurt... but putting too much doesnt help either. 100-200 ml more is fine, 500-600ml more is too much!

the right side, without the sight glass, isnt quite as important as the left side, but still important nonetheless. it lubes the clutch plates, and tranny gears. this side requires 700ml I believe. I used to put 800ml with no problems but now I have the hinson c224 clutch case which holds extra oil, so I put 1000 ml into my clutch. 100-200ml more oil doesnt hurt, it helps if anything.

you can use whatever kinds of oil you want, expensive or cheap. personally, I run the supertech 15w40 from wal mart in both the tranny, and the engine side and have never had any problems with either, as have thousands of other crf riders.

IMO the crf has a better oil system than your old yamaha does, or any yamaha for that matter. it keeps the engine oil and clutch oil seperate which is a great idea versus just pouring in 1.5L and having clutch dust go through your engine and all sorts of other bad things.

and for the next time, youre better off posting in the crf450r forum.. awesome guys over there and tons of knowledge and help to be offered.

wow .69l thats not much oil....now i wonder if there is a second oil drain plug somewhere else or if they both drain out of the same one.

wow .69l thats not much oil....now i wonder if there is a second oil drain plug somewhere else or if they both drain out of the same one.

here ya go, this should help you. the engine filler hole is on the left side, the sight glass one. and the tranny filler hole is on the right side, above your rear brake... pretty simple stuff. and I would also recommend changing your oil filter for the hell of it since you say youve already been in there... im assuming you have no idea how many hours are on that filter, its cheap, better to just buy a new one every once in a while.

12634me.jpg

ps: to all the ones that see this pic and are itching to give me hell about my bike being "dirty" dont even bother...

Get an owner's manual asap.

yes I agree. but do not buy a clymer brand, get an actual honda one.

I dont know about this brand: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CRF250-CRF450-Service-Manual-2002-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5190785efeQQitemZ350316158718QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

I believe this is an OEM and I would highly recommend buying this one as its specifically for an 02.. not a range of 02-06 which sometimes arent the most accurate for one year or another, its also 20$ cheaper than all the other OEM manuals... I would hop on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-HONDA-CRF-450-R-SERVICE-MANUAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e05a6fd9QQitemZ360246308825QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Best of both worlds!!! The advantage of having the engine and trans oil seperated, is that you can run a very slick JASO MB oil (less friction and moly content is not an issue!) in the engine side for better performance, while still running a Trans Specific Lube or JASO MA engine oil on the trans side where you have a wet clutch to deal with.

I like Redline on the engine side, and Redline Motorcycle Gear Oil with Shockproof, Maxima MTL, Motul Trans Oil, etc., in the trans side.

here ya go, this should help you. the engine filler hole is on the left side, the sight glass one. and the tranny filler hole is on the right side, above your rear brake... pretty simple stuff. and I would also recommend changing your oil filter for the hell of it since you say youve already been in there... im assuming you have no idea how many hours are on that filter, its cheap, better to just buy a new one every once in a while.

Posted Image

ps: to all the ones that see this pic and are itching to give me hell about my bike being "dirty" dont even bother...

yes I agree. but do not buy a clymer brand, get an actual honda one.

I dont know about this brand: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CRF250-CRF450-Service-Manual-2002-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5190785efeQQitemZ350316158718QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

I believe this is an OEM and I would highly recommend buying this one as its specifically for an 02.. not a range of 02-06 which sometimes arent the most accurate for one year or another, its also 20$ cheaper than all the other OEM manuals... I would hop on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-HONDA-CRF-450-R-SERVICE-MANUAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e05a6fd9QQitemZ360246308825QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Thanks! I've got an 02 as well and I did not know about the drain on the left side I've been trying to drain from the right side sight hole (stupid) which doesn't work to well. But I couldn't find a drain so yea thanks.

don't overtighen the drain plugs. Use new aluminum washers every couple changes and just snug, they are known to strip easily and snug is enough if the aluminum washer is in good shape.  12 ft lbs is what I think I read here.  I just go snug with tee handle,,, probably more like 8 ft lbs not a bunch of leverage.

Rotella T6 in the engine side and Rotella 15-40 non synthetic for the trans side.  Cant go wrong with those oils, been using them for a long time!  And I have actually had the oil tested after use and it hardly even breaks down!  Was still fit for use after 7 hours of riding (which is long for no oil change for me!) not that I would even think of putting it back in.