Sign in to follow this  

Power tips for exhaust is the way to go

I have a TT-R 125 L and just recently purchased a powertip from a company called 3D powertips. Let me tell you that this product was the best purchase I have made for this bike. Gives comparable horsepower to a full exhaust but hundreds less! It just bolts onto your stock exhaust and gives more horsepower and also looks amazing! You have to check these things out. For 40 bucks you can't go wrong! They have them for all brands of bikes too. Find them on eBay.

Edited by Mikewelter728
People are freaking out

How do know it gives you the same horsepower increase? Did you dyno it? I know it makes it louder, but louder doesn't translate into horsepower. Have you tried a full pipe like a Yosh, BBR, or DR. D?

I call bunk. Not only bunk, but comment spam. First post is a glowing evaluation of a snake-oil like product. I bet this guy never even reads this, let alone replies.

that would be like putting helium in your tires, and saying you can jump 100 foot further............just doesnt work like that

Not so fast. If the stock exhaust is restrictive, then opening it up makes a difference. If you open up the air box and the exhaust and rejet it can really make a difference. You need to remove or modify the baffle in the exhaust to make a difference though. The tip itself is just for looks. You can also get them for less than $40. I paid $20. This is what I did to the baffle that leaves the spark arrestor in place:

IMG_2313.jpg?t=1269968741

This is what it looked like installed:

IMG_2311.jpg?t=1269968401

Right, you can't just slap a tip on and gain hp at least not on a modern factory lean carb'd bike anyway. Perhaps on a closed circuit (has a O2 sensor) FI bike.

Wow, I didn't even notice that this was his first post. Yes, it did sound like spam, now I guess it really is. That stuff should be banned.

Wow I honestly can't believe this kind of feedback. I'm not here to scam anyone, I was just posting this to see if people have tried this and if it worked for them. I wasn't saying that you get the horsepower of a complete exhaust I was just saying that it helps the bike breath better. I did the air box mod and bbr filter kit and changed the jets and opening up the exhaust helped alot. This is the first time I've posted something to this site and I am amazed how negative this feedback is. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Well, I'm glad you posted back. I think the reason for all the feedback is the bike has been around for 10 years and we have done just about everything possible to imaginable including the tip. But remember there's more to a pipe than just a tip, i.e. head pipe id, length, steps, where those steps are, number of bends, etc. If you're happy with the tip, then great, it's your bike and you have only yourself to please. Just remember on small horsepower bikes it takes alot of little things to add up to a significant horsepower increase, which means a lot of little things that cost money. That's why these are little money pits.

Yea I totally understand. I raced my whole life on motocross bikes and this is my first "pit" bike and I've already put over $2,000 worth of upgrades. Believe me I would much rather have a full exhaust but I've reached my limit of money invested in this thing. I just found out that some other site sells the exact same tip for 15 bucks. I got ripped off bad! I guess it does the trick due to the circumstances.

I'm sorry as well for jumping to conclusions thinking you were a scammer. It just seemed like it because on another forum I visit, when someone posting a glowing review of something like that and it's their first post, it's usually scammers. Sorry buddy!

I retract my spam comment. You've posted eight times in your first day and it wasn't the exact same post in every possible forum.

Congratulations, you've made a monkey out of me. Which I'd like to add is about as difficult as scrambling eggs, but you've succeeded.

Welcome to TT.

I call bunk. Not only bunk, but comment spam. First post is a glowing evaluation of a snake-oil like product. I bet this guy never even reads this, let alone replies.
Well, he did read it, but in the six months he was active, he posted 16 times. He's also been gone for six months. IIRC, he posted something similar to this another time.

Comment spam confirmed.

So these are not really worth it then I assume from the negatives posted here. I doubted it from when I read it first, but am looking to get a good pipe for my TTR250. Any suggestions?

Nadeem

Looking at the idea, it can't hurt, but trying to find hidden HP in these bikes is a full time job. I'd buy a few tanks of gas with that money and just go ride.