Sign in to follow this  

Random idea... Would it work? technique to lightening a flyhweel?

I picked up a mint 1983 honda xl 100 for 130$. Just needs rings. The bike also came with a spare exhaust. I am in the learning process with bikes. And am considering moding the two exhausts to rock a dual exhaust on the bike! i know it sounds crazy and a little undoable. But if i fused the pipes together at a certain point would that work? Is there a certain distance i should calculate to know where to splice and weld?

Also if i was to pop off the flywheel from the bike and take it to a lathe (assuming thats the tool for the job, im unsure). How much would need to be taken off (weight). Also in wat technique would u even take off material throughout the diameter of the flywheel? or would it matter where its taken from.

this may all sound crazy but im interested just to tinker with my cheap project

Edited by Gani_riders

it will work. but all you are going to do is add weight and cut back pressure, which will move your power up in the rpm range which will make your bike gutless down low.

but if its something you want to do, go for it. nothin wrong with tinkering.

as far as splicing it in a specific spot, i wouldnt worry about it. just splice it where it will fit the best.

good luck.

it will work. but all you are going to do is add weight ....
That's where you should have quit. The rest of the statement is inoperative.

As to the flywheel, the three reasons you should not do that are:

1. The flywheel is likely to have a lug on the exterior that is used as a trigger for the ignition coil.
  2. Turning any significant material from the flywheel may dangerously weaken it
  3. There is little if anything to be gained by lightening the flywheel from a performance standpoint.

the weight issue is true. but I just thought it would be a fun project to tinker with both my mechanical and welding skills.