Valve Check/Clearance

So as I was waiting for someone to respond on my last post, I decided to check my valves on my 08 smr'd te510.

Looks like i need some shimming.

Do most motos share shim "kits" (are the shim kits generic) or do I need a Is it cheaper to just grab a Hotcam shim kit, or do I need a Husqvarna specific kit?

It would be great if I could goto the honda dealership next door and just grab the shims I need.

Thanks

You can go to the Honda dealer next door and use the shims from the CRF450. But they are expensive. Or you can buy the Hotcams kit. After you've used 3 shims from that, you're ahead cost-wise.

You need the 9.48mm diameter shims.

Can someone confirm this 9.48mm diameter? I have a 2009 SM510R

I already have the hotcams 9.48 kit ­čĹŹ

• 3 months later...

Ray if you check your parts catalog yes all the same, I would order the kit from motorsportz, i just went to my local honda dealer and they were asking me 8$ per shim VS 34$ for all the shims you could ever need for the life of your motorcycle.

Yep ... I'm not sure why mine is sitting ~loose on a 2.35 shim ... Its actually sitting on the upper spec limit ... Last time I checked, it was not this loose and sitting in the middle range of the specs ...

It doesn't make any noise currently and I'll check it again after a week or two of riding ...