Helpfull Info for race bikes and DMV laws

Most of you probably know that bikes have to be registered within CA

if you are transporting them on public highways. Yes, even race

bikes. You can certainly do a PNO (Planned Non-Operation), and pay the annual fee. However, there is an alternative that will let you legally transport your racing motorcycle and pay a ONE-TIME fee of $3. *edit says 15, but I am not positive..disclaimer..*(Every year the DMV will send you a form stating that if nothing

has changed you don't need to send a payment.)

The process is nearly unknown at DMV offices and has to be the only true bargain left in California's bloated DMV system. Sure, you can go the easy route and pay the PNO every year, but I decided the hated DMV won't get any more of my money than is necessary, and I also loved causing consternation at the office as they went looking through dusty file cabinets for the right form. If you're willing to put up with the time involved, I think it's worth it.

The required form is "Motorcycle Transportation Permit", Form #712. If my experience is any indication, the DMV employee will have no idea what this form is, and may not even be able to find a copy on site. I found it very helpful to show them the Vehicle Code sections below, and to tell them the Form number.

Further, Sacramento may reject the application after it is submitted by the local DMV office. In my case, Sacramento seemed to think I was applying for an "off-road" (dirt bike) permit, and sent me letters warning me that my registration was past due and severe penalties could result. It took several months of repeated letters to finally get the proper permit. I could still transport the motorcycle during that time, as I'd received proof of payment while at the DMV office.

The relevant Vehicle Code passages are repeated below. These were copied verbatim from the California Vehicle Code on the DMV Web site. You can find a listing of the sections (Articles) here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

38232. A special fee of three dollars ($3) shall be paid to the

department for the issuance of a special transportation

identification device issued pursuant to Section 38088 and shall be deposited in the Motor Vehicle Account in the Transportation Tax Fund. Such fee is in lieu of the fees provided in Section 38225. [Note: 38225 is the Off-Highway fee section, and this is an important statement because off-highway vehicles still require annual registrations.]

38088. (a) Upon payment of the fee specified in Section 38232, the department shall issue to the owner of a motorcycle, which the owner has certified as being used exclusively in racing events on a closed course, a special transportation identification device for the purpose of identifying the motorcycle while it is being transported upon a highway to and from racing events on a closed course. Such device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be the most appropriate. (? Such device is nonrenewable, nontransferrable, and becomes invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold or dismantled.

© A certificate of ownership may not be issued in

conjunction with a special transportation identification device.

38022. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4000, motorcycles issued a special transportation identification device pursuant to Section 38088 may be transported upon a highway to and from a closed course.

[Note: Section 4000 essentially says that any motor vehicle on a

public road has to be registered.]

Party Lights.. ..side of the road.. Officer to me...Licence, registration, and registration for that dirt bike..... "sir, what was that? No sir thats not a an off road motorcycle requiring registration,, That sir is "Truck Art"

Your in CA after all..... land of the fruits and nuts, and Art can be anything from two things nailed together that have never been nailed to togeather before, to painting with boobs... So Truck art is not a very far stretch.

If you have a planned non operation vehicle you pay once, you do not need to pay each year. They send out renewals but they state at the bottom if you plan not to use the vehicle take no action at this time.

But yeah $3 is cheaper than $18 so thanks. CA DMV sucks

I do not understand what they mean with 38088©

Then they've done their job.

This kind of thing drives me insane. In PA there are few to no rules for diesel emissions. The 2 million ton dump truck billowing black smoke into the air is fine but every time you start your motorcycle a tree dies.??