Sign in to follow this  

Red hot exhaust

I just bought a 2005 450 X with 70 miles on it. The nipples are still on the tires. The bike has not been started in over a year and has not been ridden in probably two years. I drained the gas tank and the carburetor. I put new gas in and commenced to kicking. Gas drained out of the overflow while I kicked. I eventually got it started and rode it slow(ish) about 1/2 mile to let it warm up before getting on the gas. When I stopped the bike to let it idle, I noticed the exhaust was glowing red. I touched the motor and radiator with my hand it was not too hot.

Sorry guys. As soon as I sent the question about the exhaust I saw links to all the other times this question has been asked and now know I dont need to worry about it. I'm still glad to post that I got a 05 with 70 miles on it though. I will change the oil in the am.

So I assume you know it is running to lean. One more thing with that year of bike run a full quart of tranny oil in the transmission side. The engine oil should be what is recomended by honda. Do some more reading in the earlier posts and you will find the explanation of why. Anyway congratulations on the new bike.

Yep.. don't let it sit for too long- those radiators need air flowing through them or the bike can overheat. I usually let my bike idle for just a little bit (maybe a minute) before I start putting around camp. I'll cruise for maybe another minute or two before I start picking up the pace.

These bikes come wayyy too lean from the factory, so make sure you check out the "sticky" threads on jetting & the various mods (if you haven't done so already). Congrats on the new ride. 👍

I just bought a 2005 450 X with 70 miles on it.

Would you mind telling us how much you paid for her? Was she in show room like condition or does she have a few bumps and bruises?

The bike is in mint condition minus a little dust. There is not a scratch on the bike not even on skid plate or under the fenders. I'm not sure where he rode the bike other than in maybe a grass field. The tires still has the nipples on them. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will. I paid $2,500 for the bike.

It's too lean. Richen the jetting and it won't run so hot. Don't let it sit idle for more than a few minutes at a time either. Air flow is mighty important to keep these things cool.

Could that be part of the reason for its bogging when I punch it at low rpm? When I roll the throttle at "normal" pace it does not bog at all.

Could that be part of the reason for its bogging when I punch it at low rpm? When I roll the throttle at "normal" pace it does not bog at all.

You need to read the sticky's at the top of the forum

- re-jet with jd jet kit

- fix apump spring issue (merge racing spring)

- change leak jet to 55

This is what it takes to remove 'whack-bog'