When do the valves start to move?

Ive got 21,000 miles on my bike now and the valves are still within spec. I have never adjusted them. Is there a specific miliage range when the valves start to move? These motors keep going and going, Its still got the original spark plug too.

Thanks

Ive got 21,000 miles on my bike now and the valves are still within spec. I have never adjusted them. Is there a specific miliage range when the valves start to move? These motors keep going and going, Its still got the original spark plug too.

Thanks

When the coating on the valves wear out...they will move....(getting tighter)....Dirt ingestion will escalate this quickly...

👍:thumbsup:

Erling

Yep depends on the type of riding. Road riding, those valves will just keep going forever. The valve seals & rings are more likely to wear first.

I've started using a dual stage UNI filter since our dust is extremely fine here in Australia.

Thanks guys that makes me feel better, I was begining to think I was measuring it wrong.

Its only only off road maybe 4 times when it had the dirt tires on it.

Ive had the sm tires on it since it had 6,000 miles on it It does go down an occasional gravel road but thats it. I guess my good filter maitnence, and short oil chance intervals help.

no,if the motor never ingests dirt they may never move.maybe .002" over the motors life.

however stock valves have been know to become 2 pieces after high miles and or severe use.

your results do not suprise me.

Is there a mileage at which you would recommend fresh valves regardless of clearances?

Yep depends on the type of riding. Road riding, those valves will just keep going forever. The valve seals & rings are more likely to wear first.

I've started using a dual stage UNI filter since our dust is extremely fine here in Australia.

yeah and RED. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
no,if the motor never ingests dirt they may never move.maybe .002" over the motors life.

however stock valves have been know to become 2 pieces after high miles and or severe use.

your results do not suprise me.

Is there a mileage at which you would recommend fresh valves regardless of clearances?