Stubborn CS Nut

OK...bought a 07 250 this fall...chain/sprockets seemed pretty fresh and were not showing much if any signs of wear...I decide to go ahead and replace being that I really did not know how many hrs were on them.

Now...I go to loosen the CS nut and that mother won't come off!.....breaker bar...nothing...ran over to Lowes and picked up an Impact Wrench.....still nothing....

I did check the manual and it did not reference a reverse thread....so it should be a standard righty tighty lefty loosy......yes?

Any imput would be apprecaited...otherwise I'll probably take it in and let the dealer crack it loose....my luck I'll break something!

Thx

These can be horrible. I've had to have people stand on the rear brake lever to hold things steady enough to loosed.

Try some of that pb blaster. Let it soak overnight and see if that helps any. Otherwise, a long breaker bar and a cheater added to it.

For real stubborn large bolts, a breaker bar with another bar attached to it for leverage is sometimes needed.

For my buddies clutch hub, I had to use a clutch holding tool (this was a must, other advice would not work, especially the rear brake method as the chain stretches and steals all of your leverage away) and a breaker bar WITH an old fork tube as additional leverage.

What is the CS nut?

Try a little heat to loosen up everything.Be careful not to burn any seals.A heat gun set on high works good.PB or Knock er loose is good and don't get too crazy with the breaker bar.I have snapped off a few CS bolts(PIA X10).Impact wrench and yes righty tighty lefty loosey.Clean all the rust off thread locker off the bolt when you get it out and throw some anti-seize on the threads before you re-install it.Check the torque spec periodically......Good luck.

Wow .... sounds like these can be a real PIA!

CS - Counter Shaft Sprocket - or Drive Sprocket

It seams like the first removal on these is brutal. I loosened mine before riding the bike and it was all my Snap-On air wrench would do. If these sit for years anf get corroded, look out.

Well....tried again with the impact wrench...no luck...tried again with a breaker and cheater bar...no luck...

Ran it down to the dealer and they had it loose in 2 seconds...and @ no charge!

Done deal....so the overall concensus is to use anti seize upon installation of the new CS sprocket? This is the first time that I have not been able to get a CS nut loose....jeesh!

Thx

Well....tried again with the impact wrench...no luck...tried again with a breaker and cheater bar...no luck...

Ran it down to the dealer and they had it loose in 2 seconds...and @ no charge!

Done deal....so the overall concensus is to use anti seize upon installation of the new CS sprocket? This is the first time that I have not been able to get a CS nut loose....jeesh!

Thx

Took the YZ to a friends house who had a compressor and impact wrench. Here's my expression after getting the CS nut off:

IMG_0214.jpg

Yes, use anti-seize on ANY external bolt or nut that is exposed to mud and/or water IMO.

I think the plan is to not put the thing on as tight as the factory does. I believe that lock washer thing takes care of the nut and have never seen one come loose if it was installed with a new washer. I do use anti-seize and dont tighten it over 60lb/ft.

Impact wrench....most likey a better quality one than what I have

I went through that routine just this past weekend. (I won't go into detail on how I cut the new chain too short in the process 👍) I use a Motion Pro clutch/flywheel holding tool on the counter shaft sprocket with the chain already removed. When the nut is stubborn its a two person job with one person holding the tool on the sprocket, and the other person using a 1/2 wrench with a cheater bar. That MotionPro clutch/flywheel holding tool is the tits, and is a must have for any bike owner. It comes in handy for so many different situations and its relatively cheap !

And yes, a good quality impact wrench on a good quality compressor is a must. I once had a Harbor Freight 25 gallon 115 psi air compressor with a harbor freight impact gun. That POS combination couldn't remove the rear axle nut🤣. Now I own a Kobalt 60 gallon 165 psi dual stage compressor with a Kobalt 650 ft lb impact wrench and it's scary powerful. So much so that I only use it as a last resort 🙂