Sign in to follow this  

RM125 gearing?

So this weekend I rode my 2000 RM125 that I built and found it was slow with my 200lb. butt on it. It has 12/50 gearing on it now and I'm thinking of going to a 52. What are you guys running on your 125's?

Aakmetz has an 01 125. I'll find out what gearing he was running. I rode it last year with a weak topend and I had that puppy humming down the track with no problem.

Edit:

Talked to Aakmetz and he is running 12/49 on his '01. I'm a 200lb vet rider as well. Remember that its a 125 and it needs to be revved to the moon for any power output. If its not revving at 12,000 rpms (?) then its not producing power.

Edited by mihylo33

Im also over 200pounds and I just went up to 51 on the rear. I like it so far, but I only ride the track, so I dont really need a lot of top speed. Has much more bottom now.

I got an 02 with 13/52. My girl rides the bike and at this time its just about right for level of riding. Now when I get on it (mx) it needs a 13/50, it just peaks to soon and you got to keep banging gears. Good corner exit speed for about 8 feet then you better grab another gear. Now in the trees, it could use the 12 tooth on the front, but note that 12 will wear your chain down faster. One more thing, you better look at your chain guide before you put that 52 on the rear, its going to rub.

i have been running 11/51 and i still have decent top speed, but its great for trails and track