Sign in to follow this  

Am I crazy to race a KTM in the Baja 500.

Got asked by john, last Saturday. I hate ktm,s🤣 I had to drag the bike across the finish line in a 250 mile race.👍

At the riders-drivers meeting someone asked if I thought a KTM. could finish a 250 mile race.LOL.197 miles into the race the fuel line broke,(do they use vacuuum line for fuel line at KTM.)had to fix it with my cammel back hose ***.🙂🤣 When we were pre running the the KTM felt fast, but the 650L would pull away from it in the fast sections, but it still felt like you were going slow on the 650L.

Edited by craig hammon

Go for it! I'd do it if someone else was footing the bills.👍

dont do it, it could blow up and kill you...they arent safe. you would be lucky if it even makes it to the starting line. i cant believe that score hasnt banned the entire ktm line up from racing at baja.

race your xr650l. easy win on that brp. ride it to the race, race it solo, then ride it home. i bet you wouldnt even get a blister or a sore butt. you can probably make the whole 500 on a tank of gas and never need oil or tires, you wont even need a pit crew.

you ought to race the 500 with your surf board on the side so you can catch a few waves on the way home. sound like a great morning for you.

ride down sat morning, they will wave you thru tech because your on a honda, they dont even check those, pull up to line, they wave hondas to the front, take off, when you hit down to the beach run pull off catch a wave or to if there is a break, get back on, pass everyone back, win the race by noon, catch a few waves and be home in time for dinner and a few drinks...sounds like your normal weekends

👍

If you are going to race a KTM xc4 motor bike ( 450 or 530) in the desert like that, you'd be best off to send the motor off to Blais racing and have them do the single oil sump conversion. (eliminate the two compartment oil system)

They have done factory bikes like that, and the reliability is better.

im curious how YOU had to drag the ktm across the finish line when you said in your other thread that you handed the bike off to the owner to finish?

here is your quote:

Back in Carlsbad, had a great time. Rode the first 30 miles, then from 150- 235, then let the owner, get on and cross the finish line.

What an Adventure. (KTM's) Co Co offered me 50 Pesos for my bike, as it was overheating, before the start. Sal Fish was shaking his head.

At mile marker 196 the bike stalled, like it was out of gas. The fuel line had broken. I had to replace it with my Camel Back hose. The bike was a 2009 with 5 hours on it, that John bought after his 530 blew up 3 weeks ago

2 flats, 1 I got, when I hit a rock, the other right after the first hand off when the owner went end over end. He got hurt, that is why I stayed, and got to ride more. anything for a friend!

I don't know how many guys started in front of me, but they told me I was in 15th. place at the hand off, 30 miles into the race.

We finished, first time out,

Thanks, a lot to all well wishers.

I go to go, I have a birthday to be at early in the morning.

Course map, Score San Felipe 250

http://www.dirtnewz.com/events-09/sa...images/Map.pdf

that was a copy and paste from your other thread on post 18 of should i race the SAN FELIPE 250

im just saying...im confused which one is true?? you drug it across or did the bikes owner ride it across?

somebody is lying, oh wait both stories are told by you...someboby named craig hammon is lying

im curious how YOU had to drag the ktm across the finish line when you said in your other thread that you handed the bike off to the owner to finish?

here is your quote:

Back in Carlsbad, had a great time. Rode the first 30 miles, then from 150- 235, then let the owner, get on and cross the finish line.

What an Adventure. (KTM's) Co Co offered me 50 Pesos for my bike, as it was overheating, before the start. Sal Fish was shaking his head.

At mile marker 196 the bike stalled, like it was out of gas. The fuel line had broken. I had to replace it with my Camel Back hose. The bike was a 2009 with 5 hours on it, that John bought after his 530 blew up 3 weeks ago

2 flats, 1 I got, when I hit a rock, the other right after the first hand off when the owner went end over end. He got hurt, that is why I stayed, and got to ride more. anything for a friend!

I don't know how many guys started in front of me, but they told me I was in 15th. place at the hand off, 30 miles into the race.

We finished, first time out,

Thanks, a lot to all well wishers.

I go to go, I have a birthday to be at early in the morning.

that was a copy and paste from your other thread on post 18 of should i race the SAN FELIPE 250

im just saying...im confused which one is true?? you drug it across or did the bikes owner ride it across?

somebody is lying, oh wait both stories are told by you...someboby named craig hammon is lying

It seems to me there is a perfect explanation how he went across the finish line.👍

I've seen them do Baja 1000's on CRF450's

I would think a KTM 450 or 530 would do just fine....or any other 450 class bike.... WR, RMX, KLX, TE.... etc....

Don't get me wrong.. any bike can die at any moment. Tons of moving parts on these things

It seems to me there is a perfect explanation how he went across the finish line.👍

read the first line RM...his second stint because the owner got hurt was miles 150-235...then he let the owner get on and "cross the finish line"

no mention before of him dragging it.....

🙂🤣

same hammer rhetoric against ktms

love to ride whatever you want to ride stop, knocking other peoples choices of what they love to ride:moon::applause:

People think I'm crazy for racing a 690R to the Circle K to get condoms and a 40oz. of Bud Light, but it's the kind of hard core badass I am, and the reason I start threads about it apropos of nothing.

Men fear me, women love me, children must stay 1000 feet away because of my court order.

Yeah, you heard me.

read the first line RM...his second stint because the owner got hurt was miles 150-235...then he let the owner get on and "cross the finish line"

no mention before of him dragging it.....

🙂🤣

same hammer rhetoric against ktms

love to ride whatever you want to ride stop, knocking other peoples choices of what they love to ride:moon::jawdrop:

Ok.Ok.:applause: You guys got me.:cheers: I dragged the bike, off the coarse when it broke. I was in a valley of soft sand, with 3' whoops, and trees. I could see a helicopter coming, and something really loud, and fast.👍 I had to get it to a safe place so I could try to fix it, without getting run over by a trophy truck:banana: I was tired, at this point I had ridden about 100 miles of which 50 were, big whoops.

I guess I feel like I dragged it across the finish line:thumbsup:

People think I'm crazy for racing a 690R to the Circle K to get condoms and a 40oz. of Bud Light, but it's the kind of hard core badass I am, and the reason I start threads about it apropos of nothing.

Men fear me, women love me, children must stay 1000 feet away because of my court order.

Yeah, you heard me.

👍

same ol' BS

"hey look at me!"

I thought about starting a thread about people who pinch flat, every time they ride, but I thought a Baja 500 thread, would be more fun.👍

I bought a set of Nuetech tubliss. I need to test them, in Baja. I talked wit Rudy, at PRO PREPT MX about jetting, and a fan to cure the over heating issues. The bike lacked low end torque and topped out at about 80 MPH we need 100 MPH. How do they get 110 MPH out of a Honda 450X. with a 5 speed tranny, and still be able to get through the nasty sections.

It's weird but the bike felt really fast but the 650L would pull away from it, and you felt like you were going slow on the L.

I almost forgot we need a GPS. or a speedometer. We got penalized 41 minutes fore going over 60MPH. on the pavement.🤣

Nice! "Sizzle" and other "Burn" noises..👍

I'm really suprized they allow 10 yr old boys to race Baja:smirk:

The weird thing about the fuel line, breaking was that it broke with a jagged edge, when I pulled the other end it also broke off, in chunks, ***. I have never had a fuel line break. It reminded me of the vacuum line on a 25 year old Baja bug.

I saved the pieces, so I could give them to john at the finish.

I kept thinking to myself, our pit crew said how KTM's are, "Race Ready".👍

Nice! "Sizzle" and other "Burn" noises..👍

Ok.Ok. You guys got me. I dragged the bike, off the coarse when it broke. I was in a valley of soft sand, with 3' whoops, and trees. I could see a helicopter coming, and something really loud, and fast. I had to get it to a safe place so I could try to fix it, without getting run over by a trophy truck I was tired, at this point I had ridden about 100 miles of which 50 were, big whoops.

I guess I feel like I dragged it across the finish line

That was the funniest shit I've read on here in a while. KTM's suck and surfin' is for flamers! LOL!!!🤣

exactly....i know i suck on my ktm, and craig loves to remind me, and craig surfs and is a flamer 👍 <that is a video of him and bikeslut making out:lol: