Sign in to follow this  

Oregon which model of 300 best suits NW?

I try riding 9/12 months a year. I search for a variety of riding whether it be central washington riding around Ellensberg, little dunes, and eastern oregon/wash. Single track is the most entertaining for me and I weigh 210# w/ gear.

looking at both ktm 300s I wonder which better suits me. I wish i could just demo these things but it never is just that easy. What do you guys see the most on the trail and what is your experience. I probably wont redo the suspension right away.

PS Im coming of a 07 yz450.

Because of the huge variety of riding we can hit around here I prefer the wider trans of the xc-w. It also has a more compliant front fork so is not as stiff in the mountain trails. heck, even the x ring chain vs standard one is better.

Joe

Don't forget about a Eric Gorr kitted YZ300 with enduro porting or the GasGas EC300.

Oh wait, I heard KTM makes 300s too. 👍

I have had more fun riding single-track with my KTM 300 XCW than any other bike in 42 years of riding! I have the 2010 KTM 300 XCW and have ridden the 2010 KTM 300 XC. They both work great, but the XC is more of a race bike. The XC has stiffer suspension and closer gears. The electric start on the KTM 300 makes trail rding fun. The KTM will have a better resale value than other bikes. I have friends that are now on the KTM 300 XCW and love the bike!

If you are looking for a new 2010 KTM 300 XCW, check out:

https://thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=60075&cat=2

Both bikes suit the NW very well. It depends more on your preferences and riding style.

If you have a need to both putt along at walking pace, and do 65mph highway runs, you might like the xcw tranny better. I personally find the gaps between 1-2 and between 4-5 to be too big for my liking, and I would rather just switch between a 13t and 14t c/s sprocket on a closer ratio transmission.

xcw suspension is a little plusher out of the box, but it may be too plush for some folks riding styles.

I didn't want e-start and i wanted to save $1500 or so, so I bought a husky 300 instead. 👍

• Like 1

I have had more fun riding single-track with my KTM 300 XCW than any other bike in 42 years of riding! I have the 2010 KTM 300 XCW and have ridden the 2010 KTM 300 XC. They both work great, but the XC is more of a race bike. The XC has stiffer suspension and closer gears. The electric start on the KTM 300 makes trail rding fun. The KTM will have a better resale value than other bikes. I have friends that are now on the KTM 300 XCW and love the bike!

If you are looking for a new 2010 KTM 300 XCW, check out:

https://thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=60075&cat=2

Those are good bikes but it seems last time we got them all together (bunch of new KTM300's) the 125 husky was out front all day. 👍

neener neener.🤣

Hows Thursday looking for a rematch?

here is my take...

KTM 300, great bike, E-start. Expensive, e-start issues, no linkage (some people don't like that) usually needs the carb float adjusted several times.

GG300, great bike, usually needs some suspension and jetting work, small ergonomics

WR300 husky, A little old school, monster motor (most off all 300's except maybe the TM) usually needs suspension setup, stone reliable, very EZ to maintain. manufacturer $1000 discount right now and can be had for nearly $2000 less than the KTM or GG.

Bike rag review on all three...

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=E88266B69F494304B6A56CE0E81ACBAB

Those are good bikes but it seems last time we got them all together (bunch of new KTM300's) the 125 husky was out front all day. 👍

neener neener. 🙂

Out front all day???????????????? Get real!

I rode your Husky 125 that day.......................no thanks.

There is a reason that the Huskys are discounted right out the door. 🤣

The money that you save will be lost when you go to sell it.

JMHO

The KTM 300 is the most advanced 2-stroke available and you do pay for it. It needs so little right off the showroom floor. The Husky is old school and so is the Gas Gas so if want a cheap 300 go buy one but for my money I would buy the KTM.

Out front all day???????????????? Get real!

I rode your Husky 125 that day.......................no thanks.

There is a reason that the Huskys are discounted right out the door. 👍

The money that you save will be lost when you go to sell it.

JMHO

I knew that would get orange man all fired up🤣

- As posted all real good bikes. Get what works for ya. You are right about resale to some extent.

husky does a $1000 off the last few years to clear non-currents for the next year. Good time to snap one up if it floats your boat.

How about the other Asian leader in the enduro market Asiawing Moto. It even comes with an optional motard kit. Lets see KTM top that.

oimg_GC01375692_CA01375693.jpg

How about the other Asian leader in the enduro market Asiawing Moto. It even comes with an optional motard kit. Lets see KTM top that.

They are edging closer and closer to a real bike every year. Scary.

Is it me or does that front headlight assembly look like a welding mask???

They are edging closer and closer to a real bike every year. Scary.

Not really. I had a 2007 Kazuma 200cc dual sport for about a month. Bought it for $150 from a dude who wanted to off it. The engine seemed OK, it was a XR200 knock off. Once I re-jetted it - it could somewhat chase an XT225. Once re-jetted, re-geared, and the clutch adjusted so it would shift - the motor weren't too bad really. The kickstarter slipped often and gouged your leg - thankfully the e-start was reliable. The brakes, suspension, and ergos where downright scary. Lots of instability issues no doubt created by an undersprung suspension but the frame geometry prolly contributed. Sold it a month later for $550. 👍

Basics like the plastic would shatter paint (that's right paint instead of dyed plastic), completely stupid placement of the carburetor wedged between frame rails, goofball routing of the front brake cable such that the steering stops would sever the hose while trail riding, extremely dim headlight, buttons that sheared off on the dual sport controls, etc. Don't waste your money unless you find a deal like mine.

Some kid, somewhere, would prolly give a body part for a kazuma, or an asswing.

Prolly, but I bought a 95 XT225 for $550 thereafter and sold it for $1450 and then bought my Ducati. From Kazuma to Ducati in just a few months. 👍

What I was saying is that the old 90s Japanese dual sports can be had for about the same cash outlay and they're at least engineered rather than bolted together from leftovers and hack designs.

Not really.

No, really. BMW and MANY others out sourcing manufacturing to Korea etc. They are getting very good. Seen the new Hyundi's? Look like Hondas / high quality. They are right on the edge of being the next big manufacturer and have put a lot of effort in it.

Italian design / Korean built...

070607top.jpg

Sorry about the derail.

Get a KTM 300.