Sign in to follow this  

Bought a new toy, YZ 250. Need opinions.

So let me start this off by saying I picked this bike up on craigslist. The guy said it was a 2004 YZ250 runs great nothing wrong with it, $2000. Pictures looked good, sounded good. went and picked it up.

Well this guy failed to mention.. The bars are bent, the chain was missing a side link barely hanging on, Front tire was flat, both tires are smoother than my newborns butt and it was muddy =] 👍

So i started checking it out.. Cylinder head looks spanking new, few after market parts ( Pro Circuit Platinum fatty with r304 shorty, vforce reeds, boyesen clutch cover to make it look faster, 51t rear sprocket, factory connection setup ). So i said what the hell, walked away paying $1,400 from his $2,000. ( Luckly the chain fell to the ground as we were going over the bike ). Rigged the chain up with a master link i somehow had in the truck ( who knows? ), sounded great, ran great 1st through 5th.

So.. I get home.. and decided to go over the vin coming from suzuki this looked like a 04' to me. Turns out its a 2001.🤣🙂

Alright so before i dig into her and rip her apart for the make over.. here she is.

1003274q.jpg

1003265.jpg

1003261y.jpg

1003258k.jpg

1003256r.jpg

1003278d.jpg

1003254.jpg

1003253z.jpg

So let me know what you think..

1400 is an average price for an 01' i see em for more though. Ican tell right away its an 01 or older (by kick start & plastics) Did he even have the tittle? Looks like a little project bike, which i like doing things to bikes.

+1... air box gives it away! Needs a little TLC... Clean, grease, replace filter and let her rip! Also doesnt the 01 have a 6-speed tranny?

The 125's have a 6-spd.. I owned one.. Very fun machine... 👍 But to my knowledge, the 250's never used a 6-spd in the modern era...

Got ya... wasnt sure! I know my 125 does but wasnt sure about the 250 seeing as I dont have a 250 that old. Makes me wonder what a 6 speed tranny would do for a 250... because it def improves the performance of the 125.

Yeah, im not aware of a 6spd model of the 250 either. This 01 packs the 5spd.

$1400 is not bad for an '01, but it would still be fun to go back to the seller and say you will take him to small-claims court for misrepresentation unless he forks over $500. (Then settle for $400.)

I'm with crider400; fun project to jump into, and that bike won't disappoint when you're done.

You should also be able find a ton of cheap aftermarket goodies on fleaBay. 👍

I have a 01 250 and it is not an 01 unless the plastics have been changed to look newer. 5 speed tranny on mine as well. It looks like a project bike to be sure. I would strip it down and take a look at the cylinder just to be sure about the condition of it. Might be a good time to do a top end on it as well.

Bitch en bike, keep it to last.

The painted subframe should alert you as well as the airbox...but, great bike overall...looks fairly unabused for a 9 year old bike....

It continues to blow me away how many people buy things without researching what they are buying! I bought a 2004 YZ250 in better shape for $1400 for a buddy with a title. I also bought a 06 YZ125 in new condition with a title for $1600.

You guys should keep looking instead of just buying on impulse without RESEARCHING what you are getting first especially when the bikes do not have a title or documentation. One day one of you guys are going to end up in jail for being in possession of stolen property!

Did you at least get a bill of sale stating it was a 2004? If so, I would be at the guys door demanding money! If not, I would be at the police department making sure it wasnt stolen!

Yeah i have already went down that road today. Called the local police station bike checks out fine.. I called the kid that sold it to me, explained the story about the bogus bs story, and that i even called to see if the bikes stolen because of it. He "understood" and said he had no idea it was a 2001, Claimed when he bought the bike last year from his dads friend, and he had told him it was a 2004 said he had no idea. Claimed he rode it 3 times, wrecked it the 3rd and wanted to sell it. He offered me $200 back and we settled it at that.

And yes i highly agree, if i would have done my research properly this entire situation would have been avoided. To those who read this post learn from it, and do the proper steps before purchasing a used bike.

Bike update- Considering the triple clamp and bar mount are 1. Went ahead and grabbed Moose steel bars, O ring chain, no need for a pic update. Deciding on doing a triple and fork swap, and going with fat bars. Well see.

I bought a 2004 YZ250 in better shape for $1400 for a buddy with a title. I also bought a 06 YZ125 in new condition with a title for $1600.

dont you think you could have left the "bragging" about how much you "paid" for you bikes out of it? i mean yeah a little bit of reasearch could have stoped this but you dont have to rub it in his face...

• Like 1

dont you think you could have left the "bragging" about how much you "paid" for you bikes out of it? i mean yeah a little bit of reasearch could have stoped this but you dont have to rub it in his face...

I see what you are saying but I think he took what I was saying the right way and you didn't! He still paid a fair price for his! I got smoking deals because I don't buy on impulse! When you buy without researching something you invariably are. My point to this "young" buyer is in the future is to do a lot more looking and researching and the deals will find you if you're patient! Just trying to pass on 45 years of buying experience onto him and anyone else that reads this!

Joe

I'd split the cases and do a rod rebuild along with the top end just to freshen it up. I bought a very clean WR250 awhile back that was spotless appearance wise...kid said all he did was ride the dunes with it. 1st clue that it had been pinned hard. Rod bearings were aboult ready to launch, rebuilt it just to have piece of mind.