Sign in to follow this  

Is there something wrong?

I took a trip out the the Pismo Dunes in California and some of the other bikes that went along for the ride ended up having engine problems.

It has been a while since i did any maintenance to my 02 Honda CR250 so i decided to take my top end off to make sure i didnt have any major damage to the piston.

at this point i am not sure what to look for.

Could you please take a look at this pictures and give me some feedback as to why such a high amount of build up.

img00039201003292054.th.jpg

img00040201003292054.th.jpg

What kind of running problems were you having? That's one dirty piston crown. This isn't necessarily a problem, it may just be a characteristic of the oil you burn. My piston crowns are usually just as clean on the day they come out as when I installed the piston new.

Anyways, do you ever have to top up the transmission oil? How does your air filter look? These are other sources of dirt to crud up a piston crown like that.

Finally, you can't see piston failures coming. You have to replace your piston before it happens. If you haven't done any maintenance on the bike a while, you're probably due. Pismo is hard on bikes, too.

What kind of Oil do you run to keep your piston so clean?

What kind of Oil do you run to keep your piston so clean?

👍 I'd like to know that too !

My piston is usually clean, hasnt had a rebuild in months, (Over 20hours)

Stripped barrell of 2weeks ago and the piston seemed fairly clean, I use Putoline MX7 at a 32:1 ratio.

My piston is usually clean, hasnt had a rebuild in months, (Over 20hours)

20 hours? Oh. What's it look like after 100 hours?

JayC

just curious how often or how many hours typically should a piston last, say average trail riding, 1996 yz 250. or is a re-ring needed every so often.

I get 20 hours trail riding. My rings never get a chance to wear out so compression is still high. I get no chances to re-ring. The skirts of my pistons wear out. For the most riders, I would say 20-40 hours in a 250 but no more than 40 for anybody.

20 hours? Oh. What's it look like after 100 hours?

JayC

Im Not dumb enough to let my piston last that long, I know the consequences of a worn piston, Skirt Smashing and then loosing bits in the bottom end, Piston Slap, Scoring cylinder etc etc.

I had a 96' Which only ever had 1 rebuild in its life and that was in 98'. I owned it from 2002-2008 with 0 maintenance, not even a spark plug. It always started 1 or 2nd kick. Just goes to show what some of these things can put up with.

I don't see anything wrong. Since you've already started taking it apart, go ahead and throw a new piston and set of rings in it.

Thank for all the comments,

i do have some questions as to how to prevent this from happening again.

Is this caused by running rich?

Do any need to work on re-jetting the engine?

Are there any long term problems that can cause damage to the engine if i continue to run how it is and just replace the piston?

When was the last time the power valve was serviced?

ive seen worse

+1 on the power valve service

i think ur runnin fine personally. carbon buildup only increases your compression ratio! hahaha

I got the bike used about 4 months ago, i really have no idea when it was serviced last.

I got the bike used about 4 months ago, i really have no idea when it was serviced last.

That being said..... I would put in a new topend clean the cyl., head & powervalves. After you put it back together run some good stroke oil & rejet if needed. Overall the pics don't look to bad other than some carbon build up & the studs needing some lubrication.