Sign in to follow this  

Oregon McCubbins Gulch or Henderson Flats for beginner riders?

I have some beginner riders (daughters 8 and *almost* 7 plus wifey) and would like to find some easy riding areas on the dryer side of the mountain to escape the rainforest that is the Willamette Valley in spring. Has anyone taken beginners to either McCubbins Gulch or Henderson Flats? Are the conditions there good for beginners (unlike the 3Rs of the typical NW riding...ruts, rocks, and roots?) Any good terrain for Dad to roost some higher speed stuff after the kiddos and Mom have retired to the RV for the day?

Camping is required also to make a weekend trip. Have a fully self contained motorhome so no hookups required. I know East Fort Rock and Millican is a good place for beginners as well, just a longer drive from the Portland Metro area.

Thanks in advance for any info!

RMJ

never been to Henderson, but I took my wife to mc cubbins her first time and it went well, I haven't been there for a few years but it seemed like you could find plenty of camping. The trails were pretty easy and open for the most part. I saw other family s with younger riders there as well. Have fun.

The first time my wife rode was at Henderson. It's a good place for a beginner but there are some trails with soft sand. I like Henderson better than 4-corners just because there are some elevation changes.

I'm not sure about camping. I've only been there twice and never seen a trailer or MH.

Hi RMJ

I would recommend Henderson Flat for beginners. They can ride 90% of it. There is beginner caliber areas at McC but not as much. McC would offer you some riding on the other hand. You could make a fast loop and be back to the camp in an hour.

D

McCubbins, good camping areas, nice play areas for the kids, more technical mountain type trails is desired. Just more variety / better camping.

Thanks for the info guys. McCubbins is much closer and can be connected with a visit to Kahneeta so we will likely go that route first. Kids and wifey are all padded up from head to toe so what is the worst that could happen anyway?!?

Has anyone been to McCubbins lately, I assume it is covered in snow with the El Nino blanketing the higher elevations? When does it usually thaw out, around mid-April or later into May? Might have to stop and check it out on way home from China Hat next month...you know a little reconnaisance trip before I take the family.

RMJ

As far as McCubbin's Gulch is concerned, it possibly might've been rideable the last coupla weekeends, but not now; they got pounded with a whole buncha snow. 👍

In years past, I've gotten rides in as early as late March. Probably more reliably able to ride there mid-April & later. It definitely has gotten cold on us a time or two when we camped there from late April to Memorial Day.....

One thing I've done since Al Gore took the initiative and invented the internet is to go to www.tripcheck.com . It's the ODOT road/weather website. They'll show the weather cam at Bue Box Pass, which is near McCubbins, and only slightly higher in elavation. When the road and brush off to the side of the road is "snow-free" in the view from the Blue Box cam, it might be rideable at the Gulch.... maybe..... Hope this helps some!

Jimmie

"Yesterday, 10:13 PM"

Hard at work I see! 👍

Henderson is good for beginners. There's some optional climbs if you look for them and want something a little more challenging.