Best way to tighten Primary Gear Nut/bolt

Ok, so I've split many cases and have yet to come up with a good way to tighten the primary gear nut without the cylinder installed. Is there is good trick to getting this done without putting the motor back in the frame and completing the top end first. For that matter all of the shaft nuts and bolts ie... the clutch nut and the counter balancer nut. I made a clutch holder before by drilling and bolting together a couple of clutch plates which worked ok. I've put aluminum blocks under the wrist pin to hold the crank but that just seems a bit sketchy. In my younger days I tried the penny between the gear teeth but that too is pretty barbaric. So what works for you?

Nothing wrong with jamming the gears with a penny, its simple and effective. Cheap too. What more could you want? I suppose you could use another primary gear, or this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=22841

But for the price of that tool you could lock up the motor with a penny 1,900 times.