Sign in to follow this  

so... what do they stand for?

its 12:30 am and im sitting in bed reading the new TWMX magazine. I read the "gone postal" section and a kid asks a very good question, in which the editor promises to ask the companies and post an answer in the next months issue of TWMX... well I dont have the patience to wait that long and would like to see if anyone here knows the answers.

what does CR, CRF, YZ, RM, RMZ WR, and KX stand for. I assume the "f"s that go on crf and yzf stand for "four stroke" but that still doesnt explain the others.

I didnt ask KTMs because im pretty sure I already know most of them, heres my guesses

SXF = super cross something

EXC = enduro cross

XCW = ?

CR = close ratio?

WR = wide ratio?

There was a thread not long ago, before the holidays IIRC, that asked the same question. The answers were all there, except I can't find it in the search yet.

Coz it sounds better than red bike, green bike, yellow bike, blue bike & orange bike! That simple!!!!.....the same as cars have letters to identify model.

Some models may have a significance to their origin but in an effort not to be repeticious of other manufacturers there are only so many 2 or 3 letter combos you can have so we end up with what we get.

"X" often means a cross between 2 types of bike.

"R" often refers to 'race edition', so on & so forth.

You are right, the "F" in CRF refers to the 4 stroke edition of the CR. Why did they originally call it a CR? Because there was nothing else called CR at the time.

I think that anyone who reads into it beyond a passing thought has too much time on their hands. 👍

There was a thread not long ago, before the holidays IIRC, that asked the same question. The answers were all there, except I can't find it in the search yet.

Is this the thread you were referring too?

Clicky

I always heard the CR stood for close ratio for the tracks. WR stood for the wide range bikes.

ive seen lots of answers, not sure how many were right or not, or how many were serious replies.

even had a 16 year old try to convince us that "they dont stand for anything its just what the factorys named the series of bikes" you gotta be kidding me... of course they stand for something.

I still havn received an actual answer so I guess ill just have to wait to see what they post in the next TWMX issue.. if the editor actually does ask the companies!

its 12:30 am and im sitting in bed reading the new TWMX magazine. I read the "gone postal" section and a kid asks a very good question, in which the editor promises to ask the companies and post an answer in the next months issue of TWMX... well I dont have the patience to wait that long and would like to see if anyone here knows the answers.

what does CR, CRF, YZ, RM, RMZ WR, and KX stand for. I assume the "f"s that go on crf and yzf stand for "four stroke" but that still doesnt explain the others.

I didnt ask KTMs because im pretty sure I already know most of them, heres my guesses

SXF = super cross four-F was added to most bikes to designate 4 stroke such as YZf.EXC = enduro cross

XCW = ? X country or cross country

CR = close ratio?

WR = wide ratio?

👍

• Like 1

Hey, be glad they dont use model numbers like forklifts,ie.. Nissan CWGP02L30S-3L. And supposedly every letter and digit means something but damned if I know what, and Im supposed to be an "expert"

Why did they originally call it a CR? Because there was nothing else called CR at the time.

besides the husky cr?