motox gear changes??!!

Hi might sound abit stupid but iv'e been told by a few people that whilst on the track (on a 2004 cr85r) i don't need to use the clutch for shifting up or down, only when i stop or set off, i know that this works but will it be doing any damage to the bike or is a common thing that alot of riders do? thanks.

I beleive there was a thread on this last week sometime. The answered seems almost as mixed as a "which oil" question. A lot of people said no, and a lot said yes. I personally use the clutch just because I cant shift with it just as fast as w/o it. If you have any doubt just learn to use your clutch quickly I guess.

It depends. If I'm pushing hard, I certainly do not use the clutch on downshifts, I just bang down the gear or 2 I need to drop when I'm hard on the brakes coming into a corner. For upshifts, I usually do use the clutch, but not always, if I don't use the clutch, I do back off the throttle a bit. The reality is that an MC transmission isn't hurt by clutchless shifting as long as their isn't a big load on if from the engine. In road racing, the bikes all have an ignition cut out with a pressure sensor on the shift lever, they just bang the shifts as needed and that cuts the ignition momentarily to minimize the load.

The way i see it (not right or wrong) Your cr85 is a race bike, tranny is designed to be hammered and go fast, no clutch. Compared to say a crf150f, a trail bike, tranny not designed to be hammered you should use the clutch. Not saying you cant use the clutch or not on both bikes.

I beleive there was a thread on this last week sometime. The answered seems almost as mixed as a "which oil" question. A lot of people said no, and a lot said yes. I personally use the clutch just because I cant shift with it just as fast as w/o it. If you have any doubt just learn to use your clutch quickly I guess.

+1

Seeing the answers you're getting this time, you're better off looking at old threads of this but take some advice. Take everything yu read here with a grain of salt. Yes, some TT'ers know the answers to this question and some don't have a clue. Hopefully, you can spot the difference!