2T transmission oil question

I think 2t tranny oil is going to be as much as a preference as the kind of pre mix and what ratio you use. I personally run ATF and love how it performs. So, you should be good to go using what you have. And, if you have any doubts, just change it a little more often just to keep it fresh.

The second number, the 50 in 10W50, determines the working viscosity. The first number indicates the low-temperature performance. It is fairly important to get the second number right (determines the film thickness on moving parts), and just be aware that if it's below 0 degrees 15W probably isn't going to work so good on startup.

For a 2T transmission, you are probably good to go with almost any oil with a similar working weight as specified, provided it does not have the friction modifiers in it.

Since I change my oil pretty often, I use Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 diesel oil; it's about $10.50 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Synthetic oils show advantages over dino oil for extended drain intervals (shear resistance) and at low temperatures (base stock viscosity does not change). If I'm changing my oil very often anyway, there's no sense in using expensive oil.

-z

I just buy any motor oil that has 40w as the second number, and does NOT have the energy conserving label. Like the guy above said, the second number is the viscosity at operating temperature. I've never been able to tell the difference between expensive gear oils and other oils, and I've only had one transmission bearing failure (from mud intrusion behind the output sprocket) in over 30 years of riding. I buy whatever oil is on sale, but I do change it often.

Hello, i am new to 2 strokes, but i changed the oil in my 250 exc and i put the motorex 15W50 like the manual said. To be honest the next time i wont put that one again. Warm, cold in both ways it's hard to start while in 1th(almost impossible). Read that ktm has to be warm(the oil) to be able to do it but nevertheless i will try something else next time. Just my opinion.

Best regards,

Nikola

Hello, i am new to 2 strokes, but i changed the oil in my 250 exc and i put the motorex 15W50 like the manual said. To be honest the next time i wont put that one again. Warm, cold in both ways it's hard to start while in 1th(almost impossible). Read that ktm has to be warm(the oil) to be able to do it but nevertheless i will try something else next time. Just my opinion.

Best regards,

Nikola

ATF will help this....