Sign in to follow this  

Timing Chain Problems

My CRF150F(2004) is jumping time . I can check the timing at TDC and it be OK.Start the bike and let it run , get warm , maybe ride it a little and then it will start running rough with no power at all. Change the plug , no change.I can check timing at TDC again and it moved. Can this be caused by a timing chain out of adjustment. This is my first 4 stroke dirt bike so Im not sure .👍🤣

it has an automatic adjuster,it may be the trouble.I just had to change one on my 230 because of noise.You might want to check the chain b4 buying the adjuster,it could be worn to the point where the adjuster just dosn't reach enough to take out the slack.If its jumping the gear it would be wise to check those too for wear.

I just went through that with my son's 05. Had to replace the timing chain. Not really a big deal. Make sure the tensioner is working first. If you can bolt on the tensioner while it is fully extended, you definitely need a new chain. Also, make sure you didn't bend any valves. Do a compression check. Good luck!