Sign in to follow this  

Front Sprocket/Chain Buffer Clearence - Help

Hi All.....I am relatively new the dual sport scene and picked up a 2000 DRZ400S. Bike is clean with under 2000 miles on it.

My question: While servicing the chain, I noticed that the front sprocket (stock 15T) has worn a groove (maybe 1/16") in the plastic chain buffer where it wraps around the swing arm mounting tubes. Is this a normal condition or do I have something worn on the swing arm mounting hardware?

Thanks and any information is greatly appreciated.

There is already a groove molded in the rubber. The 15t sprocket doesn't really contact the rubber wrap-around, and if it did, no big deal at all.

Yesterday afternoon I installed a 16-tooth front sprocket. That was a pain as the bike is really tight between swingarm and sprocket. A 16t is max allowable, and requires some customization work.

I cut away some of the rubber that wrapped around the swingarm with a utility knife, then I had to grind some of the aluminum backing away to slip the sprocket on. Then with bike on sidestand, I let the clutch out to have the sprocket machine a little groove for itself. Simple.

A ride test showed a significant improvement in highway performance. The bike is calmer and a lot less twist-head-off revvy at speed. But it's not enough for highway use. Today the 39t (versus 44t stock) rear sprocket will go on as well. That'll make cruising on my upcoming 1,300-mile trip really nice. This bike has all sorts of power, so it'll be able to pull the tall gearing no problem. That setup is not for wheelie kings and under-70 mph drag racers, but it does make the bike feel like a bigger ride.

Thanks for the quick response Einfahrt. I truly appreciate the knowledge that exists on this site and the willingness of all to share.

Wow - a 1300 mile road trip sounds exciting....Make sure you take your camera to share the sights with all of us. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response Einfahrt. I truly appreciate the knowledge that exists on this site and the willingness of all to share.

Wow - a 1300 mile road trip sounds exciting....Make sure you take your camera to share the sights with all of us. Thanks again.

Welcome! It'll be fun, though my arse will surely scab over and fall off! See my new post on 39/16 gearing.