Sign in to follow this  

Iridium spark plugs in vintage bikes

I installed a new NGK Iridium plug in my TS250 yesterday and although it ran, it had a loss of power, installed the conventional NGK plug and the whoo-hoo came right back.

i switched to Denso plugs 30 years ago when they introduced the u groove electrode, and that's all i run in all my stuff. i've put about 13k miles on an iridium u groove plug in my drz with no problems, and i just put a set in my 98 dodge ram, also with no problems. i know ngk has a good reputation, but i had fouling problems with ngk's in an rd350 that went away with the switch to densos(Nippon Denso back then). Good Luck!

You'll find that its hard to beat a basic copper core spark plug. Iridium's and all the fancy stuff last longer, but they don't necessarily burn as hot. And a vintage bike needs as hot a spark as you can get.

Much of the spark plug "advancements" have been in marketing materials, IMHO. There really isn't that much of a difference in the function to make it worth the additional expense.

With some vintage ignitions, I've found it's really important not to use resistor plugs, especially when the bike already has a resistor-type plug cap. NGK indicates resistor-type plugs with an R in the plug designation; I haven't figured out Denso's numbering system.

Ray

Just my humble opinion - I think the new iridium plugs in a systems that uses contact breaker points is all for naught. They were designed and run better off the conventional type spark plug. I installed a NGK B8ES into the TS250 and it was a happy camper, like I said in the original post it ran off the iridium plug but seemed sluggish.

I have run Iridiums in my XR650L and XR250R and noted no difference at all. I just installed a set in my HD Dyna and will see.

Replaced the plugs in my 06 Tundra with ND Iridiums and it liked em alot!