Sign in to follow this  

Optional OEM Headlight???

Has anyone else ever bought the (optional) oem headlight assembly? I am having trouble with it because nothing locks together like you think it would. I have brought everything that is in the diagram and no luck. Is there something I am missing that is not pictured?

?modelyearid=274&typeid=1&groupId=13900

If you talk about the headlight with H3 bulb, I only bought the lense assembly and it was a perfect fit. Maybe I had to replace terminals.

Has anyone else ever bought the (optional) oem headlight assembly? I am having trouble with it because nothing locks together like you think it would. I have brought everything that is in the diagram and no luck. Is there something I am missing that is not pictured?

?modelyearid=274&typeid=1&groupId=13900

Yeah, I put one on my '02 XR400 last year. Ordered the lens and wiring from our dealer and picked up the bulb at the auto parts store. Works great, puts out more light.

But if I remember correctly it is not just a swap. It wasn't hard by any means, but then I didn't want to cut the original. I'll go out to the shop later and look at it. Memory isn't what is used to be. I'll get back to you.

Later......

Update:

Is this the assembly you ordered?

I didn't know this existed but I'm very interested in it. Right now I have an H7 bulb siliconed into the stock headlight so the baja designs plug will work with it. But the reflector isn't meant for this setup and it doesn't work as well as it should. (It came like this when I bought it, like the look of the stock headlight better then the big BD one.) If anyone can tell me if this is a direct replacement for the stock headlight that would be great. Maybe some pics. I'm sure wiring it up to what I have wont be a problem.

Also, my local dealers website has it cheaper so here's the link if your interested.

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx

Go to "Honda : XR400R AC (99) MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# JH2NE031-XK400001" on the drop down menu.

Thanks guys.

Dmrogers, that is the diagram that I bought. The only piece I didn't buy directly from it was the headlight, which I got from ebay. Is there a clip or something that is supposed to hold the bulb in?

Shrk352-Speaking of silicone, I actually did that same thing to mine last night. That was the best solution I could come up with. But there was a little smoke coming out from around the bulb and silicone. The bulb says it gets >200c and the silicone can withstand 400f. 200c is 392f, will the silicone hold up? I think it may have been smoking because the silicone was not fully setup.

Yes the silicone has held up on mine just fine with the H7 bulb. I haven't noticed any burning or anything in over 3000miles.

As for your question about the clip I would assume that you need the headlight that accepts the H3 bulb that is in the picture. Not sure if yours is this one or not. I would guess that it has something to hold it in. Id like to know if this is the case if anyone has this headlight. Id love to be able to put an H3 bulb into mine, especially if the reflector is built for it.

dmrogers, that is the diagram that I bought. The only piece I didn't buy directly from it was the headlight, which I got from ebay. Is there a clip or something that is supposed to hold the bulb in?

Sorry it took so long to reply, been busy around here.

Here are some pics of my headlight, including the part number that I ordered:

IMG_7917.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7927.jpg

IMG_7932.jpg

I wired up some connectors so everything would plug in nice and neat. I did not want to cut or mutilate my stock wiring, so with a few connectors and a little wire, I made a harness that would work just fine.

The clip for holding the bulb in is connected to the glass lens. That is the way mine came.

I put a connector for the wire that the light plugs into so I can easily swap out the bulbs.

I picked up the bulb at the auto parts store. Just a few dollars.

I included the part number for the lens assembly that I ordered. Works like a charm!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I'm almost definitely getting one of these now. Any comments on the light output?

Thanks for the reply, I'm almost definitely getting one of these now. Any comments on the light output?

Before I was affraid to ride at night. Now, I know I can. It makes a huge difference.

You can tell a considerable difference. Of course the light output is relative to the rpms the bike is putting (to a degree).

It is much lighter than the stock unit. I can ride trails at night and actually see where I am going. Not good enough for fast stuff, but for trails, it is fine. By the way, I am using the stock stator.

DMRogers you are the man! You have solved my problem, I just need the headlight lens that you have. Mine came from a xr400 off ebay but it is different, mine has three slots around the neck on the back for a push and twist locking deal. Thanks!

DMRogers you are the man! You have solved my problem, I just need the headlight lens that you have. Mine came from a xr400 off ebay but it is different, mine has three slots around the neck on the back for a push and twist locking deal. Thanks!

My pleasure!

When I was looking for a lighting solution, I did a ton of research on this site as well as others. I finally stumbled across some info that led me to get the lens kit in the photos. I figured the photos would help.