Sign in to follow this  

Spring Rate Help

Are abit confused with spring rates, got my 2010 rmz450 suspension set up, they went up 1 rate on the front fork springs to .49 and pressure springs and left the stock shock spring 5.8. I am finding the forks way to stiff and having trouble turning but they rekon its the way to go. I weigh 160 without gear and after checking race tech and mx tech websites they recommend .43 fork springs and 5.6 or 5.3 shock springs they seem alot lighter... I am a A grade rider but do i need springs that much stiffer then my weight for the speed?

At 180# (your weight approx. with riding gear), I would have gone down one rate both front and rear. What pressure springs did they install? If they went up in main spring rate, but down in pressure spring rate, the net result would probably be the same as running the standard main spring.

Springs don't care how fast you go. They are there to hold you and the bike up at the proper ride height. For supercross, maybe you go up in spring rate over "normal" just because they're jumping out of three story windows. But for faster riders, the damping (valving) needs to be adjusted for the speed.

They defientley went up on the pressure springs because of a apparnant dive the bike has when turning in, they cant seem to tell me exactly what rate pressue springs they put in though, which i could slighty notice but didnt bother me but now it doesnt dive at all but it doesnt turn in either.

Well im now in a pickle, i have a state round next weekend but the guy that set it up has gone on holiday for 2 weeks... have since found out the fork springs are actually .50 and that he went up .2 on the pressure springs and changed the t valve, are going to stick the standard main springs back in should i also swap the pressure springs back to standard... because ive only got a 1 week its abit late to get it done by someone else so i just need to find a half decent set up and then send em away after the event.