Sign in to follow this  

crf20l or klr650

Need some advice: I bought an 09 crf230l a year ago, as I'm a new rider. Passed the rider safety test, got licensed and have enjoyed the bike ever since. But, being 5'11" 190 pounds, I'm finding the bike a bit small. Have looked at the klr650 and it feels right. But, is it too big for a still-new rider? And will it's size be difficult should I take it off road? I won't ever be doing any serious trail riding, mostly dirt roads, back roads, occasional woods trails.

Should I hang onto the 230l, or go klr? Thanks

Wow. That's a big difference.

I ride an XR250R and find the CRF230F a pretty small, lightweight bike. I've sat on, but have never ridden a CRF230L, but I thinks it's even a little bit smaller than the CRF230F ... at least seat height.

The XR650L is a monster compared to my XR250R and even moreso than the CRF230L. I think the KLR650 is equally massive. Most riders on the XR650 forum call their bikes "pigs", not sure about the KLR650.

For highway or open desert riding I think I'd like a XR650 or KLR650, but for the woods trail riding I do I'm sure I couldn't handle the size and weight. I don't think I could pick it up when (definitely when) it falls. But for your use you might like it.

It's a big difference in size and weight.

Ah, what am I saying? There was a YouTube video with a guy racing on a MX track with a Harley. I guess anyone can riding anybike anywhere if they work at it.