250F or 450F!

Welcome,

Before I start I would just like to say thank-you in advance for the advice/tips.

So here is my situation, I'm 17 years old, 67kg's, and an intermediate rider. I have been riding a MX track for around 3 years on my Sx125 and have basically out grown it! I ride only at a MX track, and ride bush/next to the road, to get to the track so really only at the track It will be ridden.

I ride (when the bike is going) every weekend and any weekday that I can get enough light hours into! I have ridden 250F's and they are not what I expected, I thought that they would be a lot faster then they actually feel. I don't know If I would be better off on a 250F or a 450F, Ideally I would by on an SXF-350!, But in reality I won't be getting one this year.

So what do you think I should get, a 250F or a 450F. I'm starting to go the the gym etc, So I will be bulking up, I'm fit and can usually last quite a while with out being fatigued.

THANKS!

if you had a 125 then your good enough to get any bike and ride it, i have a 250f and a 230f i love my 250 i coulda got a 450 but whats the rush ill get one after im done with the 250 plain and simple if you wanna be one of them guys who just look badass as **** and are on the limiter all the time and are real fast and can thrwo the bike around and be beatly get the 250 but if you want a bike to ride around and dont care about the weight and stuff get the 450 450 i promise you wont be throwing it around and putting it on the limiter ita take alot more time till you can man handle the 450 but the 250 you can probably man handle it after just a little while

Thanks for the replys people!

I'm set on a 4t for sure, I want to be competitive and the 2t just doesn't hack it these days. As you guys said, If I get the 250F I will be thrashing it more, and be able to actually throw it around. But on the other hand, will I be thrashing it to much and need to spend ALOT of $$$ on parts etc. I think If I get a 450F I will be a lot faster then on a 250F, although a lot of people seem to say "you're faster on a 250F then a 450F" I just find that hard to believe when the 250F's seem so slow to me!

@Woodsracer: I want to be the fastest I can be on the track, I'm quite fit and I KNOW that I will be able to throw the 250F around, But how much harder is a 450F to throw around then a 250F ? I do care about how fast I am on the track and don't want to just be putting around, Not like I will or ever do any way.

I think you have made your decision young stacks. Go for the 450! Also know that you will be getting bigger and growing into your Man Body and strength in the next couple of years. You will also be putting money and effort into a ride you should have over the next few years and you could be 20 years old riding this bike. If you buy the 250 you may think its underpowered and you will want that 450 soon enough so go for it. Have fun with your 450!

Ride safe have fun.

IMO every other bike "seems" to be in slow motion if you have been riding a 125 2-stroke for all it's worth. I have one and my son was actually faster on it than he was on his 08 KTM SX505 with full Ohlins TTX suspension. I timed him and when he said "I was a lot fatser on the KTM wasn't I?" I had to tell him no you are faster on the 125. He now has a new Husky TC 250 and he's the fastest on it. I say go for the 250F and master it first. Sometimes in the hands of mere mortals less is more.

get a 450, i got a 250f and they arent that "powerful"

a 450 will haul ass

but i'am selling my 250f for a 250 2 stroke because of cost to run it, you need to think about that first as well

if youre a good rider youll be fast on any bike, a 250 2 stroke aint a slow bike, its just everyone has moved to 4 strokes so riding a 2 stroke on track is "unfashionable"

although doing say a race lap on my 250f is pretty fast, i think i could use more power so i think get the 450

i wouldnt like to be on the limiter all day and revving the bike hard

Thanks for the replys people!

I'm set on a 4t for sure, I want to be competitive and the 2t just doesn't hack it these days. As you guys said, If I get the 250F I will be thrashing it more, and be able to actually throw it around. But on the other hand, will I be thrashing it to much and need to spend ALOT of $$$ on parts etc. I think If I get a 450F I will be a lot faster then on a 250F, although a lot of people seem to say "you're faster on a 250F then a 450F" I just find that hard to believe when the 250F's seem so slow to me!

@Woodsracer: I want to be the fastest I can be on the track, I'm quite fit and I KNOW that I will be able to throw the 250F around, But how much harder is a 450F to throw around then a 250F ? I do care about how fast I am on the track and don't want to just be putting around, Not like I will or ever do any way.

time yourself on both, there are a few track where 450's are faster, tracks with long uphils or long uphil jumps a 450 has more pull to get ya where you wanna go, 250f's are deseptivly fast in the way they deliver they're power, on a loamy track my lap times on a 250F are a good 2 seconds a lap faster on a 250 then a 450, hardpack is evan faster for me to the 250F, fatigue for me depends on how rough the track is, on a smooth track my lap times and fatigue levels are around equal on both, but the rougher it gets the slower i get on the 450 in comparison.

the other option is look at a 144cc, power is compeditive to the 250F, but alot of people recon they're more intersting to ride and they're definantly cheaper, i'd look at an 06+RM 125 with a 144cc eric gore big bore kit with mid/top end porting.

You know now that i think about it, I would stay on a 2 stroke. build your 125 or step up to the 250. If you are really riding a 125 to its full potential you will probably be faster on a 250 pinger. i ride a 4 stroke cause i am fairly new to two wheels and the power is more predictable. If you are fast on a 2 stroke stay with it. You can find smoking deals on those bikes cause most people wanna ride a 450 cause its cool. Take advantage, man. ?:ride:?

I'm not after a "cheap" bike, or an "easy to maintain bike", I'm simply after the bike that will be faster around the track, with out sitting on the rev limiter all day long. I know that a 150sx wouldn't be fast enough for me, I think I would be to bored etc.

I will be racing in the "pro open" class and even If I was to get a 150 2t or 250 2t, I would have to race against 250F's and 450F's. I would be at a big disadvantage. I will post some pics up with in a month or so of the new track that has just been built up here! It's not finished yet, but me and my mate cruised out there and there seems to be a lot of very decent sized jumps. It looks more like a bloody super cross track the way the jumps are so close to the berms. I can tell a lot of them will need to be seat bounced haha!

If I buy an 08 that is lightly used, I will be able to spend the $$$ that I saved on it to buy a few things like, pipe, bars, suspension, plastics, graphics, grips and a few sets of spare rears.

Or save it for that KTM 350sxf. That bike is hot. If it's coming to the US this year it should be here no later than May. Dealers are taking reserves. If you have a bike to ride now you might just want to wait.

a 250 2 stroke is no slow bike

you can be fastest on the track on one, but everyone thinks 450's are faster and there "cooler"

if you really are a good rider you wont have too much disadvantage on a 250 2 stroke

most people never use all the power of a 450 anyway

but go the 450 if you want its your choice