Sign in to follow this  

Use Clip Style or Rivet Chain Master Link?

I just bought a DID 520 X-Ring Chain for my 2006 Yamaha WR250F. It came with a rivet style master link and I purchased a DID master link with a clip. Is there any reason to use the rivet style? I would have to buy a rivet tool for it. Isn't the clip style strong enough and reliable, if installed correctly? Seems easier to install. Seems more convenient when I want to pull the chain off in the future for major cleanings.

I've heard arguments both ways, BUT I use clip on my street bike. I've got one on my Monster 750 and haven't had a problem with it in several thousand miles.

JM

though technically the rivet should be more reliable when done properly, I like using the clips for ease of maintenance. I do replace the clip with a new one pretty much every time I take it off though.

The rivet is stronger if you have the proper rivet tool. The clip style for sealed chains is fine but you still need a small chain press to install it because it uses an interference fit.

..... small chain press to install it because it uses an interference fit.

Yep, called Vice-Grips!

I never use clip even on street bikes.Ive had them come off in certain conditions when it was a major problem.its worth the extra effort for me to make sure they stay put.I dont use a special link,just press a regular link and peen it some.

I would use the rivet style just from past experience. I used a clip style on my R1 and it failed on me on a ride. You can get the rivet tool from cycle gear for pretty cheap.

I've never had a clip link fail on me yet. I hope it never does. If for some reason I would need to add another master link I would make sure it was rivet style though just as a preventative measure

If you install a clip correctly, VERY little chance of it coming off. If you're worried, safety-wire it (around the clip so that it hugs the side plate). It won't get hit by the sprockets, and cannot come off as long as that wire is on there.

I've never lost a clip style done this way, neither has my brother who's been racing since the 1980's.