Sign in to follow this  

Need help making the 2005 RM250 better in the mud

I'm transfering over to a 2005 RM 250 from a 1997 CR 125. I can ride the 125 way faster through technical terrain and slick mud conditions...

I noticed the 250 washes the front tire out in deep mud... where as my 125 will stay very stable as long as i'm on the gas...

SO, I need to make some changes to the rm 250 to try and get it to ride through slick terrain better. Just from looking at the two bikes, my 125 sags more, has a lower seat height from the handlebars, and the handlebars are taller.

Here is what i'm thinking:

1. Adjust the sag of the rear shock to around 106 mm maybe up to 110 mm(Transworld Motocross had sucess with this setting when testing the bike)

My compression and rebound settings are stock on the clickers

2. Shave the stock RM seat down so that I sit a little lower on the bike (i'm only 5 foot 6 at 165 pounds.

3. Taller bars. I have a 70 mm rise fat bar on the bike, i was thinking of the Ricky Carmichael tall fat bar with a 104 mm rise to it or possibly the 110 mm rise fat bar.

what things are successful for you all with the rm 250?

Remember:

my goal is to keep the front end from just washing out and tucking from under me...

thank you

Hmmm, all i have to say is that when i get to muddy situations i

1. put all my weight on my heels, stand up lean back

2. BRrrRrraAaAAaAAAAAAP!!!!!!

but just make sure you have good new tires. 👍

On smaller bore bikes , it is obvious that you have to stay on the gas , to be in control.

I ran a big wheel 80 , in a worcs mudfest , a few years back , and came in 2nd !!!

I have a 2005 rm , like you , and just did a 20% mud race last weekend , and it did just fine. Line up where you want to go , and lay on the gas , and it will go through.

Chop the throttle , or stop , and you will have problems....no matter what kind of handlebars you have.

One thing I do have a problem with on these rm's , is everyonce in a while , I will get stuck , where the front wheel will not go over an object (root, log , etc.) and the back wheel will just max out without grabbing dirt .

later.

this is with the same tires and psi? Suspension is fresh?

mud use dunlop 756...i noticed the mx51 does not grip as well in mud but does better in most other conditions. mx51 rear is sweet but wears out sooooo fast. started using mx51 front 752 rear for best all around riding.

Yeah if you are running strictly trail I would recommend sending you suspension out for that particular style of riding. Remeber this is a bike purpose built for MX, but easily swaps over to a high quality enduro machine with the right mods.

Yeah if you are running strictly trail I would recommend sending you suspension out for that particular style of riding. Remeber this is a bike purpose built for MX, but easily swaps over to a high quality enduro machine with the right mods.

I ride motocross only on my 250.

I ride motocross only on my 250.

For some reason I thought you were a harescramble/enduro guy.

Tire selection is a big one with the RMs I had great succes with the Maxxis ITs for MX. You'll benefit alot by sending your suspension out for your wieght and speed.... Also check for flatspots on your rim. They cause twitches when trying to carve. If you want to get by just for the next race or 2 then try stiffening up the front forks with the compression clickers or add a few ml of fork oil. Again don't chop that throttle in the mud or you will sink like a stone and maybe even get hurt.

cheers.

First thing to do is get the right tires then go from there. If your front is washing out, its tires, suspension settings or rider error. Mix all that togather and it will make for a comical video.

I'm transfering over to a 2005 RM 250 from a 1997 CR 125. I can ride the 125 way faster through technical terrain and slick mud conditions...

I noticed the 250 washes the front tire out in deep mud... where as my 125 will stay very stable as long as i'm on the gas...

A 250 will carry the front wheel better than a 125....

Don't be scared of the power but make it work for you.

Edited by foots

I have a new set of Michellin Starcross tires front and rear that have less than 5 rides on them.

I do believe the front tire has something to do with its poor handling in the mud. The starcross doesn't clean its treads as well as other tires... which was a surprise for me since its labeled as a mud soft conditions tire.

Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure....

I love the IRC v33 front tire, ive have yet to have any complants about it the tread life is amazing and it grabbs every terrain!

OR503-2strkider made a good point. Tire pressure is one of the first things a rider should do before the ride and any time the bike just feels wrong. In motocross, there is no reason to run the tire pressure more than 13psi. I run 11 1/2 in the front for sand and mud, 10 to 10 1/2 in the rear. Intermediate soil, 12 in front and 11 in the back. Any time you drop below 9psi you take a chance on pinching a tube or bending a rim, plus the tire will deform under a load and make the front end feel like its slipping and then bite (floating in other words).

in the mud i run 11-12 psi both front and rear.

On dry and hardpack days I run 14 in the rear and 13 in the front.

Tire pressure is a good point for all riders, but for me in this scenario, it is not an issue.

Nobody asked if he had the same tire style and width on both bikes?\\

Also, regardless of tire, if you are going faster on the 250, it's going to wash out in places where slower bikes won't which is why the guy on the 80 did well in a race, plus his small tires would dig in more.

same tire width, both for soft to intermediate terrain, but differant brands.

i'm not going to speculate anymore until I adjust the rear sag on the bike and then go ride it through the same mud terrain again on Friday, then I will post up some results and go from there.

Adjusted my rear sag with gear to 110 mm. Went and rode through the mud sections of the track... the bike handles so much better now.

i stay on the gas and the bike just squats the rear and the front hovers through it now! The bike still doesn't quite handle like I was hoping though. Tomorrow i will rotate my fat bars so that my hands will be higher and then will test again in the mud.