Sign in to follow this  

Simple Electrical Connector Trick

With my latest addition, a 2003 KLX400SR, I read about DRZs and charging problems. An inspection of the yellow-wires connector shows it faces butt-up and that in time will trap water, eventually causing corrosion/oxidization and runaway increased resistance. In that context I wanted to pass on a simple something I've done during bike setup for 40 years. I just don't have electrical problems... ever! Yeah, this is known to some, but what the heck, I'll repeat it with an economical twist.

During my 25 hours or so bike setup stage, one of the things I do is pull every electrical connector apart and stuff them with Vaseline 👍, such that the excess 'squozes' out when reassembled. The excess is then wiped off. Afterward, the connector is then never, ever going to get water inside sych that corrosion is possible. As a side benefit, the connector won't get stuck. Much easier to pull apart later.

Vaselene is simply white petroleum jelly, and that is completely non conductive. Yes, you can buy 'dielectric' greases, but Vaseline is commonly available and works. The main thing is to do this with whatever grease. Won't add any performance (unless you have a corroded connector to begin with), but it's simple and cheap insurance.

only problem with vaseline is that it turns liquid at lower temperature and will ooze down the wires unlike dielectric grease.

👍:thumbsup:🤣

You mean higher temperature.

Yes, this is true. In summer when the air temp around the engine can top 125 degrees F, Vaseline starts to transition toward more liquid. On the vast majority of the connectors it's not a problem. I live is a very hot climate (Oklahoma) and so far haven't had but a little oozing.

On those connectors that do see a lot of heat, while the cavity in the connector may empty out some, a protective coating remains.

Dielectric grease is overall better. It is possibly silicone based and thus much more temperature stable. I should buy a tub sometime, if I can remember. That's the problem. I keep forgetting and the problem just gets worse as the years keep tacking on!

So here comes another bike to prep and nothin around but that handly tub of Vaseline....

any brand name parts store has a tube of dielectric grease.. really no good reason to use Vaseline IMHO.. Heck order it on line and have it delivered with a normal parts order to your front door. .. Alwasy need something to round up a parts order to the free shipping number.. 👍