New hare scramble racer. Keep and race my KDX200 or upgrade?

Hey guys, I started racing in the Arkansas Hare Scramble circuit a few months ago. This is my first time ever racing, and I think I picked a good bike for my first time out- a 2004 Kawi KDX200. Bone stock.

In the 3-4 months I've been 'racing' this KDX, I've noticed myself improving drastically. I'm moving up a class, 'Trailrider' to 'Sportsman', which is still a fairly newbie level class. Not quite C class. =P

Here's my dilemma. I'm 6'2", around 250lbs. I'm trying to get down to low 200's. But anyway, I know I'm not outriding my suspension yet, but I still definitely have had a few moments in higher speed turns or through some rock gardens when the suspension I could tell was in over it's head.

I priced getting it resprung and revalved through Factory Connection, and it's $750. I only paid $1,000 for the bike. I don't mind spending the cash, BUT, I'm wondering if I should find a bit more 'serious' bike. Something along the lines of a KTM250-300 or, I don't know what else. I just don't dump the money into this KDX and hit a wall in say, less than a year to where I feel like I need more bike or more power.

What do you guys think? Have any of you competitively raced a KDX in B or C class?

I'm in the B class

Suspension work will make a WORLDS of diffrence to you bike.

Are there any suspension shops that are local to you? Its best to have it set up for your conditions.

Yes, a KTM 250 or 300 (I love my 300xcw) will help you become a better ridder but I'm not sure if its really a funner bike (if that makes sence)......

I'd say get the suspension dialed in for you on your 200 and ride it another year .... you'll know when its time for a better bike.

Getting your suspension dialed will drastically improve your performance and at your weight I'm sure it is under-sprung. I am 6'4 250lbs and all stock bike's are under-sprung for guy's like us. Your bike is a very good bike for harescramble racing, but you may want more power in the future. I will say I have a 2010 KTM 300 XC-W and it is the best dirt bike I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot. If you keep the kawi definately get the suspension done, but if you get the KTM 250 or 300 you will not be dissapointed. If it were me and you can afford it get the 300 it is one bad ass bike.Good luck on whatever you decide.­čĹŹ

What is the ideal suspension mod to this model KDX200?

I understand completely new front end needs to be had - but what year and brand should this new front end be to suti the KDX200?

Byte

What is the ideal suspension mod to this model KDX200?

I understand completely new front end needs to be had - but what year and brand should this new front end be to suti the KDX200?

Byte

I also started H/S on a KDX 200. I also did the KX fork change and revalving the shock & I was also 225lbs. I ended up with a 300exc which ended up being a super good change for me but. I also really like the KDX. I later found the site that if I had found before I would have stayed with the KDX at least another year or two. http://www.frpoffroad.com/

You can build these KDX's up to be as fast as the KX250's without the hard hit of the 250... This guy knows his stuff....

Because of your size, just about any bike you buy is going to need suspension work. I think most bikes are set up from the factory for 180ish. I would spend the 750 and have your current bike done, rather than 6 to 7 grand for a new bike that you still need suspension work done on. You're going to know when it's time for a new bike, trust your gut feeling, if it tells you to upgrade then do it.

Because of your size, just about any bike you buy is going to need suspension work. I think most bikes are set up from the factory for 180ish. I would spend the 750 and have your current bike done, rather than 6 to 7 grand for a new bike that you still need suspension work done on. You're going to know when it's time for a new bike, trust your gut feeling, if it tells you to upgrade then do it.

+1 ^^ what he said ^^