Clutch or not

My opinion:

Necessary? No. But its not just going to shift whenever you want without the clutch. Theres usually a certain rpm for each gear where it will want to shift. It takes practice but if you get good it may be worth it. I will always be a clutch guy on dirtbikes, cars are a different story.

I usually clutch when I shift...However I clutch so quickly I am not sure how much pulling the clutch is doing..I can shift almost the exact same way by just letting off the throttle for a split second when I shift...I do clutch more when I upshift than when I downshift.

• 2 months later...

Trail riding clutch all the time. Trail racing no clutch for shifting but a whole lot of clutching coming out of corners or in really rocky sections.

Longer rides in baja I allways shift with the clutch and try to keep my fingers off the clutch in the technical stuff. Last thing I need is a smoked clutch 200 miles from my truck!

I think of this a lot i rarely use the clutch when shifting unless I'm in not in a race situation than i will concentrate on using it.I never was a big clutch when shifting guy and I've been riding over 35 years and never had tranny or clutch problems, in the right condition i bang gears with the gas on, how ever i clutch all the time in technical areas on enduros and back in the day when all my hair was black and i did MX i always used the clutch for corning. So there you have it i ride with my finger on the clutch but i don't use it for shifting only to abuse it

i dont know if it makes a difference but I clutch when I shift a lot more when riding a 4 stroke. When I am riding a 2 stroke I tend to bang gears a lot more. I never use the clutch on downshifting...There is almost no load on the gears. I also noticed on my 4 stroke that it doesn't like to shift with out either using the clutch or backing out of the throttle momentarily.

I have reverted back to my childhood in Calfornia City on a Hodaka and clutch for starting and stopping. Then only when I remember. I agree where technical, clutch, and when WFO my fingers stay on the bars. For you younger kids that's wide-full-open. I watched my Father and all his friends, when I could keep up(Rarely), never use the clutch.

i use it half the time up shifting, always down shifting, and i smoke that sucker on hills, corners and starts. i keep the clutch covered all the time and find that when i use it less when shifting i also use it less on hills and corners and that leads me to chug too low in revs and really have to climb out of the hole slowly instead of feathering the clutch and screaming out of the corner or up the hill.

as to whether it's detrimental to the engine/trans. i think that dumping gears without the clutch puts undue load on the trans and perhaps, over much time, could cause problems with the dogs or the gears themselves. upshifting shouldn't harm it.

warning: this is all simply my observations and summations from my experiences. idk if hard engineering data would support my opinion. but i've never had trans issues either.

Unfortunately, i have so many years of daily driver street bike that my left hand operates on its own. I have to really think about it on offraod races to let my relkuse do all of the work and keep my finger away from the lever..i constantly catch myself wasting effort. I always cover it, but like someone else said...i prefer to use it for corner abuse.