Sign in to follow this  

Basic setup on 315R

Thanks for helping me decide on the 315R. I just got the bike and noticed it has no USFS spark arestor. It looks to have a ring on the muffler that one will clamp onto. Is there a Montesa spark arestor I'm missing? I may get checked where I ride and need one.

My other question is about the bar clamps. They angle rear and down. Do I turn them around to gain height and room for a 6'2" rider or is a bar swap the way to go?

Thanks

Stump

Thanks for helping me decide on the 315R. I just got the bike and noticed it has no USFS spark arestor. It looks to have a ring on the muffler that one will clamp onto. Is there a Montesa spark arestor I'm missing? I may get checked where I ride and need one.

My other question is about the bar clamps. They angle rear and down. Do I turn them around to gain height and room for a 6'2" rider or is a bar swap the way to go?

Thanks

Stump

None of the Trials Bikes came with factory spark arrestors.. follow otpi1's advice and call Mike.

And, almost ALL new riders complain about the bar height. Many of the top World riders are taller than you and ride with bars that are probably lower. It takes time to learn how to ride so that the bars work for you. The lower height is best for the more difficult stuff and taller bars will hurt your obstacle jumping ability and the hill-climbing ability, especially turns while climbing.

If you get taller bars, consider them "Training Bars" and be prepared to go back to the stock height as you get better. If you plan to compete in local events, for sure, keep the bars on the low side. Ask another rider in your area to check the alignment of your bars or post a side photo of your bike the way it is now.. 👍

Ok Thanks. I stopped by Mikes shop before I took deliver to see what this Trials was about. I got his card and will see what he can do. I just gassed her up with 50/50 mix and 80:1. It started right up and seemed good to go after a juant around the yard. I'll see if I can post a pict if I don't come home too beat up from it's maiden voyage! I'm off on a new adventure....How cool is that!

But wish me luck just in case.

This thing is a blast! I bounced off the trail and took a header so I added 4 clicks to the front dampening and 2 to the rear to settler her down but if I understand this right I'm suposed to have that bounce or fast rebound so I can hop ??? I better stick to contoll at first but was wondering about the level of spring to the suspension. Poor bike is almost new and I hated to put the second scratch on it. Oh well it can't stay nice for ever. I reversed the bar clamps but had to space them up and move the forks to even with the tripple trees. I don't know if I'll like that rake but then again what the hell do I know.... I'll keep fooling with it. The cluch perch and hydrolic fittings hit the crosbar clamp when I try and lower it. A grinder to the clamp helped but do you guys run your levers pointed down or out strait? My clutch will only go a little lower than straight out. That crossbar may have to go.

My Levers are setup near level - Dont lose the cross bar unless you switch to Fat Bars.

If you get on the bike and lean way back - you will understand why we run the levers higher - keeps the wrists straight instead of having to roll them forward if they were low.

Suspension settings can vary - experiment with various setups to see what you prefer. Most have tradeoffs - just a matter of selecting which ones you can live with.

Glad to hear your enjoying the Monty.

👍

i say whatever to the guy he was told not to and did......????i put my levers wherever i like and what suits me,not where other people have theirs?as far as the clickers? for a beginner rider?why?push on the seat if both front and rear compress in unison....your dialed,take the crossbar off if you want,if they snap you'll understand why they put one on in the first place,turn the bar clamps around,so be it.i prefer to not pay my bills online,are you going to?good observation opti1!

I see what you mean about the down hill. I set my rear break pedal height but that shifter way out in space must have a reason to it??? The crossbar removal will fit right in with the fender washers I have under the clamps going the wrong way.....I'll buy whatever it needs but untill I fiqure what works I'm just fooling with what I have. The rake sucks with the forks all the way down. I can't turn slow as easy and the front washes out at speed. It does allow for good practice poping the front end up but it's got to be lowered. Is the sceew on top of the left fork a bleeder or a compression adjustor? Mine screewed all the way out real easy? Does the rear even have a compression adjustor? I could not find one. Thanks for listning and helping.

stump, coming from a moto background i can honestly say i was doing the same thing your doing now. like the other guys said, if you just ride the bike like it was ment to be ridden it is fine the way it is. you mentioned washing out the front end "at speed". Its a trials bike,and if your body was in the right position it might not have done that.you went over the bars? i don't think there's any amount of tuning with the clickers that could keep that from happning. i was in the same boat, it takes alittle while till you get into the trials grove. it doesn't mean you can't ride it as fast as you want to,or beat the crap out of it like i do mine. you just have to adjust to it, you'll never be able to transfer it into something it's not. have fun with it, you'll figure it out and and make your friends wish they had one while you grin ear to ear with fun.

I had rocks roll out from under me so I started dialing it in. The front was compessing then springing out the rocks. A little..well 6 clicks in on the front rebound and 2 on the rear fixed it so I can ride without crashing on the rocky turns. I have Mike working on a set a bars or risers so I can lower the fork legs. This type of bike will take time I know but I can ride twice a day. I've ridden probably 15 hours allready and will take off in a little while for some more. How do I set compression on the forks and rear shock??? I'll try and add some photos of the trail I'm going to hit this afternoon but put picts on Expo from yesterdays ride are here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=599261#post599261

This is coming from someone who has had a 315. Turn your clamps back around, roll your bars much more forward and no need to raise the forks in the clamps, A 315 Montesa turns just fine stock! Just leave the suspension as is.

Having sold a lot of bikes it's funny how new trials people always want to mess with the suspension and vetran trials riders just leave it. I currently have Cody Webb's (#2 in the nation) 2009 Sherco in my shop and his suspension is exactly as it came from the factory!

This bike is a 2000 so who knows what factory settings were. The front kicked so I upped the dampening. I was going over the bars so I raised them. The front dived deep in turns or off drop offs so I upped the compression. The rear bucked a tad so it got two clicks rebound. It felt spongy and bottomed out so I upped the pre load. No big deal to set for my weight. I can slowly learn how to trials ride with some confidence in what it will do now. I have had a dozen bikes since 76. I built rock buggys to Mt bikes so fooling with suspension is something I have done non stop for decades. The guy that sold it jacked with it so all I did was get it set for my weight. Leaving it set poorly was going to get my ass hurt. As far as bars and height I'm letting a pro get me what it needs and I'll be able to decrease the rake to what it needs to turn the way it needs too. After todays tweeks I fooled with break lever positions and feathering the breaks on different terrain. It sure is a whole different animal. I need 1/2 lbs more air in the front tire and if all my tweeks go out the window in time then it's all good. My bet is in time I'll want the rebound faster for hoping but for getting used to it I need all the control I can get. Thats my thinking anyway.

thanks cullins and mike but it's also an enduro bike!!?i went through the same issues as this guy.damn head angles too steep at speed, the suspensions too soft at speed,the clickers arent helping at speed, all those things wrapped up just blew me away when i bot my gg pro 280!so what i did is put 13lbs of air in the rear tire and 14 in the front depending on the traction conditions,wound up the rear spring,added spacers from ace hardware,1/2 p.v.c to the front fork springs,makes em stiffer, wound all the screws all the way in!!!but i got to tell you ,the best mod was..that 2foot tall block of foam i added to the seat?really helped me in my bike set-up at speed, also a little tip....32/1 fuel mixture...echo chainsaw oil...shit yall not.

Edited by FESTER

What was I thinking???? With the explosive growth in this sport over the last decade I was told the US may top 150 new bike sales this year! Whatever you guys are doing then keep doing it because when I beat the snot out of the pristene hardly ever used barn find and turn it into dust I'll pick up another unused championship bike for next to nothing and do it again. At 160 lbs this diposable trail flicker will get hacked into whatever I want. The coolest part is I can rail the highest part of washed out switch backs, footplant the whole bike in the air to put it right back into a line to do the next one. I don't even have to dress up like a Power Ranger to do it. Weee I do love this bike!

This all sounds very familiar. I ride more trails than trials on my 315. I've had great fun blasting around on it and haven't really as yet concentrated on 'proper' trials riding.

Be sure to do lots of gearbox oil changes, don't be shy with your oil/fuel ratio, remember these things aren't really built for speedy stuff.

Up in the mountains I run 15psi front and rear and have fitted uprated rear suspension plates (I'm on the large side myself), they're worth getting actually.

That said, I'm just getting back on my bike this past week after a year not riding, and I've been learning tight figure 8 turns and trying to get my head around splatter and double blip techniques, and really enjoying it.

Perhaps I've got the quicker stuff out of my system now. I'm considering another YZ250 for that..

Oh yeah, I'm running 6" bars at the moment (cranked way forward as ccullins has said) which feel perfect for me although I'm only 5'11, but I can see exactly what 2ply is saying, they will be too big and in the way as my technique improves.

For now I'll keep them and save myself the backache I was suffering from.

Right...I can tell allready that when I have to get really agressive in a section the bike fit's like a glove. I was told the 6" bars are a vintage bend. How is that different?