Sign in to follow this  

08 xr650l

new guy here, i just put a deposite down on a new-never rode bike for 5800 out the door. is this a good price for this bike? it comes with a skidplate...

Depends on where you are located. Here in Mobile thats pretty high. You canget one for $5200 OTD with alot of extras. Dealers are trying to move old stock so I would even make them come down from there on a 2008 model. But supply and demand get factoryed in. I personally wont buy a new bike ever again. Once you ride it off the showroom floor it only worth $4500. I went used and paid ALOT less and got a bike with only 1400 miles on it.

That's all true, but financing makes owning a new bike possible. With dualsports & dirt bikes, it's a lot harder to actually know how abused a bike is. You can't go wrong new. The most important thing is KNOWING that you will get your money's worth - by riding it. You'll lose a lot if you decide to sell it next year. If you take care of it, a few years from now, it'll still be worth 2-3k.

Yea, its a fair price. Less than I paid for my '08.

Good luck with your new bike, you are in for some good times ahead. 👍

thanks for the reply. i will get my money out of it thats for sure. with the endless desert out here. with the amount of money i spend on gas in my truck in a month i can make the bike payment, buy gas for it for a month and get insurance. so i think its a good buy...

My truck gets about 16 MPG, Both of my bikes get over 40. Thats always my excuse, but I never manage to save money owning a bike. I just go alot further alot more often. Enjoy the new bike.

paid 6400 for my 09 after tax title etc. at least the 08 doesnt have that ugly white rear fender tho. if you're at all like me, you'll have 7800 into it by the time mods are done! enjoy

in Canada i paid $5800 CAN. for a used 08 with only 91KM's on it, i found that to be an unbeatable fantastic deal for that low of KM's, i dont know why you in the states get such good deals. I went to see a bike before the one i bought, and it was an 08 with 1800 KM's on it, the guy was asking $7000, would not go any lower than $6800... seriously. SO LAME. I would call it a good deal, but apparently you get better deals!

pd 3,000 for my 05 L buddy bought new it has 7,000 rds on it wasn't a great deal but I've been around the bike it's whole life that was the big factor for paying a little to much.......but it's been worth it!!!!!!!sold my 92 DR 350 with the big bore kit and extra's for 2,000 thought I'd never get close to that got lucky I guess!!!!

Paid $4600 last month for a 2007 (new) left over. Having a blast with it. Also have a 1989 Transalp I bought new in 1990 or 91. So I keep em for a long time. The XRL is a great bike.

If you can afford the payments and like the bike (assuming the OTD price is not outragous) you can't go wrong.

Where at in AZ?

I went used buying mine because they weren't offering discounts on new locally. I couldn't get my mind round spending that much when you look at what you can buy used in nearly new road bikes for $6500. My 07 was like new with 1400 miles and some extras for $3,600, it seemed a better deal to me. If I could have got a new one for $5800 or $5200 as someone else says, I would definitely have been tempted. Now I have my 07 I'm glad I went used, I'm thinking of getting a used road bike with the money I saved 👍

I take the point on financing on new ones though, if you don't have cash you have to take into account the preferential finance offers on new, versus what you can get used.

Don't worry what everyone else paid Danth--But it was way less than a KTM! Anyway enjoy your new toy.. Lots of info here on TT. and helpful folk her at TT.

i took it out in the sand for the first time and i found out pretty quick that the stock tires ARE NOT made for that kind of riding. can anyone suggest a better set of tires?

If you can afford the payments and like the bike (assuming the OTD price is not outragous) you can't go wrong.

Where at in AZ?

im in yuma but i found it in phoenix...

i took it out in the sand for the first time and i found out pretty quick that the stock tires ARE NOT made for that kind of riding. can anyone suggest a better set of tires?

there's a lot of sand where I live and I really like the pirelli scorpion pro up front

for the rear I'm using pirelli mt21 (130 width), but I may try a dunlop d606 next for a comparison

there's tons of other opinions on xrl tires throughout this site and others, I'd poke around and see what grabs ya

Until you get new rubber on there be sure and lower your tire pressure for Sandy, loose dirt. Loose stuff I run down to about 12 PSI, I think you will notice a difference. Just get some air back in there before you go to crazy on the slab. And yes at those pressures I do worry about pinch flats but have not had one yet. I have seen my tires as low as 10 PSI